From: steve on
I’m trying to understand pop3 and Exchange 2003.
I'm no expert at any of this so bare with me.

When I look at the 2003 Exchange System Manager,

If you go to /Servers/MyExchange/Protocals/Pop3 folder.

When I double click on the pop3 I get a mailbox showing Default pop3
Virtual Server
When I right click on that and go into properties then advanced I see
TCP port 110 and SSL port 995

(see picture here)
http://yfrog.com/3zexchangepop3interfacep

The confusing for me is how clients are suppose to be set up. When I
click the advanced tab on the outlook express and click “this server
requires a secure connection (ssl)” it automatically changes the
incoming port to 995 but does not download email. However if Ijust
leave it at 110 it does download email. I guess I’m confused by what
the setting in the exchange e.g. port 110 or port 995 is telling me.

(see picture here)
http://yfrog.com/5joutlookexpressportsettip

Eventually Im trying to move towards getting one user to get mail via
pop3 three for their phone. Cause I cant think of any other way for
them to get their mail via a phone.

Thanks.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 13:26:26 -0700 (PDT), steve <stevesemple(a)lycos.com>
wrote:

>I�m trying to understand pop3 and Exchange 2003.
>I'm no expert at any of this so bare with me.

Ummm . . . okay. I'm naked if you are.

>When I look at the 2003 Exchange System Manager,
>
>If you go to /Servers/MyExchange/Protocals/Pop3 folder.
>
>When I double click on the pop3 I get a mailbox showing Default pop3
>Virtual Server
>When I right click on that and go into properties then advanced I see
>TCP port 110 and SSL port 995

That just tells you that those ports are what POP3 and POPS are
listening on.

>(see picture here)
>http://yfrog.com/3zexchangepop3interfacep
>
>The confusing for me is how clients are suppose to be set up. When I
>click the advanced tab on the outlook express and click �this server
>requires a secure connection (ssl)� it automatically changes the
>incoming port to 995 but does not download email. However if Ijust
>leave it at 110 it does download email. I guess I�m confused by what
>the setting in the exchange e.g. port 110 or port 995 is telling me.

Have you installed a X.509v3 certificate on the Virtual Server? You
need one before SSL will work.

>(see picture here)
>http://yfrog.com/5joutlookexpressportsettip
>
>Eventually Im trying to move towards getting one user to get mail via
>pop3 three for their phone. Cause I cant think of any other way for
>them to get their mail via a phone.

Does the phone have ActiveSync on it?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: steve on

> Ummm . . . okay. I'm naked if you are.
You too.

> That just tells you that those ports are what POP3 and POPS are
> listening on.

> Have you installed a X.509v3 certificate on the Virtual Server? You
> need one before SSL will work.
Ok no I have not.
But IM confused isnt port 110 un secure and 995 secure. If its
listening on both ports then doesnt it mean that its going to give out
pop mail securly or insecurly. (not sure if thats english)

> Does the phone have ActiveSync on it?
I have no Idea, its the CEO's phone. Its a blackberry. But He says hes
dumping it and going to get a IPHONE.
From: steve on
Come to think of it I may have set up a certificate when I set up web
mail. But Im not sure how I would check.
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
In the IIS management snap-in.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"steve" <stevesemple(a)lycos.com> wrote in message
> Come to think of it I may have set up a certificate when I set up web
> mail. But Im not sure how I would check.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Outlook Address resolution
Next: SASL query