From: Mike Blake-Knox on
In article <f3vhs5ldvf3dmsm1m9ria8dni111nshqlh(a)4ax.com>, John Polasek
wrote:
> Where did I miss?

How about making the donations to that well named charity "Various"
with the breakdown under Supporting Details...?

I wonder what the IRS would think of this approach - the schedule A
instructions don't seem to require anything except the total on line
16.

Mike

From: John Polasek on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:32:06 -0400, Mike Blake-Knox
<mikebkdontspam(a)knology.net> wrote:

>In article <f3vhs5ldvf3dmsm1m9ria8dni111nshqlh(a)4ax.com>, John Polasek
>wrote:
>> Where did I miss?
>
>How about making the donations to that well named charity "Various"
>with the breakdown under Supporting Details...?
>
>I wonder what the IRS would think of this approach - the schedule A
>instructions don't seem to require anything except the total on line
>16.
>
>Mike
You can't just enter a total on line 16; you must override in order to
make entry. I thought I saw a note somewhere in Ttax that overriding
will prevent them from properly executing the alternative minimum tax.

If you open Ttax and go through the motions I think you'll find as I
did that there is no place you can enter anything. it looks as if they
want a formal identification of each charity including street address
as if it was going to be checked against a list of acceptable
charities. I'm sure there's someone who has solved this problem and I
would be grateful for a step by step description of where to enter the
total upstream of line 16.

From: JimH on
John Polasek wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:32:06 -0400, Mike Blake-Knox
> <mikebkdontspam(a)knology.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <f3vhs5ldvf3dmsm1m9ria8dni111nshqlh(a)4ax.com>, John Polasek
>> wrote:
>>> Where did I miss?
>> How about making the donations to that well named charity "Various"
>> with the breakdown under Supporting Details...?
>>
>> I wonder what the IRS would think of this approach - the schedule A
>> instructions don't seem to require anything except the total on line
>> 16.
>>
>> Mike
> You can't just enter a total on line 16; you must override in order to
> make entry. I thought I saw a note somewhere in Ttax that overriding
> will prevent them from properly executing the alternative minimum tax.
>
> If you open Ttax and go through the motions I think you'll find as I
> did that there is no place you can enter anything. it looks as if they
> want a formal identification of each charity including street address
> as if it was going to be checked against a list of acceptable
> charities. I'm sure there's someone who has solved this problem and I
> would be grateful for a step by step description of where to enter the
> total upstream of line 16.

You open one charitable contribution supporting form. Put "Various" in
the charity name and address fields, and the total amount in the amount
field. It will fill in line 16.
From: scott s. on
JimH <JimH(a)invalid.net> wrote in

> John Polasek wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:32:06 -0400, Mike Blake-Knox
>> <mikebkdontspam(a)knology.net> wrote:

>>> How about making the donations to that well named charity
>>> "Various" with the breakdown under Supporting Details...?
>>>
>>> I wonder what the IRS would think of this approach - the schedule
>>> A instructions don't seem to require anything except the total on
>>> line 16.
>>>
>>> Mike
>> You can't just enter a total on line 16; you must override in order
>> to make entry. I thought I saw a note somewhere in Ttax that
>> overriding will prevent them from properly executing the
>> alternative minimum tax.
>>
>> If you open Ttax and go through the motions I think you'll find as
>> I did that there is no place you can enter anything. it looks as if
>> they want a formal identification of each charity including street
>> address as if it was going to be checked against a list of
>> acceptable charities. I'm sure there's someone who has solved this
>> problem and I would be grateful for a step by step description of
>> where to enter the total upstream of line 16.
>>

> You open one charitable contribution supporting form. Put "Various"
> in the charity name and address fields, and the total amount in the
> amount field. It will fill in line 16.

In certain situations distinction is made between a "50%" charity
and a "30%" charity. Using "various" will negate the ability of
the software to figure that, but if you know that you won't be
affected by that then it shouldn't be an issue.

scott s.
..