From: Elmo on
Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos
(based on the time and date and GPS location of the given photograph)

Assumption: You want to automatically rotate, shrink to 100KB, set to
72dpi, strip out the EXIF data, and rename the new emailable files based on
the EXIF date & EXIF gps coordinates for all photographs in a Windows
folder.

To automatically rotate a batch of photos to the EXIF orientation tag:
* Navigate to your batch of digital photographs in a Windows folder
* Doubleclick on one of the JPEGs to open it up in Irfanview 4.25
* t ... aka Irfanview:File->Thumbnails
* Wait for the Irfanview counter to register all thumbnails (i.e., it may
take some time for the Irfanview counter to register from 1/5000 to
5,000/5,000).
* Control + A ... aka Thumbnail:Options->Select All
* Shift + J ... aka Thumbnail:File->JPG Lossless Operations->Lossless
Rotation with Selected Files
* Start ... aka Thumbnail:Press the Start button
Voila!

To rename based on date & GPS, shrink file size, and set DPI & pixels:
* With desired photos still selected in the Irfanview Thumbnail viewer ...
* b ... aka Thumbnail:File->Start Batch Dialog with Selected Files
* Batch conversion:Press the "Create New Folder" button at top right
* Batch conversion:Name the new folder something like "small pics"
* Batch conversion:Doubleclick on the newly created "small pics"
* Batch conversion:Press the "Use current look-in directory" button
* Batch conversion:Press the "Start Batch" button
* When done, exit out of the batch dialog and then out of Irfanview
Voila!

All digital photographs in that folder will be rotated properly; they will
be renamed based upon EXIF date & GPS data; and they will be shrunk to
100KB and 640x480 pixel size and 72dpi resolution; and all EXIF/IPTC and
thumbnail data will be removed from the emailable copy of the photograph.

Notes:
* Those are my settings, previously saved by Irfanview; your desired
settings may vary.
* Irfanview 4.25 saves the last 15 rename patterns; so you can have a
variety of desired patterns.
* Obviously EXIF information such as GPS coordinates & orientation must be
saved by your camera; press the E button in Irfanview to view your EXIF
data.
* Recommended batch saved settings are the following:
- Set "Batch conversion - Rename result files"
- Set "JPEG/GIF save options" to "Set file size = 100KB (RIOT Plugin)"
- Set "Batch Conversion" options to "RESIZE"; "Set long side = 640 pixels";
"Set DPI value = 72"; and "Preservec aspect ratio".
- Set "Batch rename settings" to "$N-$E36868(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)$E402-$E404";
this appends the date and GPS coordinates to the original file name.

Further improvements are always welcome!
From: Elmo on
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:46:08 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

> Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos
> (based on the time and date and GPS location of the given photograph)
> Further improvements are always welcome!

I forgot to list a tremendous time-saving setting for this to work with
fewer button presses.

* p ... aka Irfanview:Options->Properties/Setttings->Miscellaneous
Make sure to UNSET the default option "Open Batch dialog in last used batch
folder".

Otherwise, you'll be constantly forced to waste buttons setting the folder
to the current folder.

In summary, the entire process to resize & rename & tag 5,000 files is four
steps to reorientate and four steps to resize, tag, and rename photos:

To orientate (orient?) thousands of photos:
* t
* control + a
* shift j
* "Start"
Then to resize, tag, and rename thousands of photos:
* b
* "Create new folder"
* "Use current look-in directory"
* "Start Batch"

Voila!
From: Don Wiss on
Elmo <dcdraftworks(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>Tutorial how to use Irfanview 4.25 to rotate, shrink, & rename batch photos
>(based on the time and date and GPS location of the given photograph)
>
>Assumption: You want to automatically rotate, shrink to 100KB, set to
>72dpi, strip out the EXIF data, and rename the new emailable files based on
>the EXIF date & EXIF gps coordinates for all photographs in a Windows
>folder.

That is a lot more than I want to do to my pictures. As not all need
rotating, I do those using IrfanView by hand when checking them out
(Shift-J, etc). Then I use jpegcrop to crop losslessly. I put it first on
my SendTo menu to bring it up with key strokes. Then for reduction I don't
go by byte size, but for a size that fits on a web page. I wrote a program
that reads the image's size and then using an algorithm figures out what to
reduce it to. The reduction is then done by batch using Easy Thumbnails in
command line mode. See:

http://www.fookes.com/downloads.php?product=ezthumbs

From: Elmo on
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:27:26 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:

>> - Set "JPEG/GIF save options" to "Set file size = 100KB (RIOT Plugin)"
>
> I'm not sure this makes sense for most cases, jpeg file size will vary
> depending how much detail.

Actually, that's the beauty of this setting.

No matter what the JPEG size is, it will set it to 100KB (or whatever you
choose). It's magic.

From: Elmo on
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:27:26 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
> I didn't see any instructions on renaming from exif.
> OK, I just found that below.

Just to be clear (for others), the EXIF information is used for the file
naming based on the pattern below:
>> - Set "Batch rename settings" to "$N-$E36868(%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S)$E402-$E404";
>> this appends the date and GPS coordinates to the original file name.

Which means (AFAIK):
$N = start with the previous name, e.g., "vacation.jpg" ...
$E36868 = use the EXIF date information pattern to follow in parenthesis
%Y%m%d = date format YYYYMMDD
%H%M%S = time format HHMMSS
$E402 = GPS latitude
$E404 = GPS longitude
Where the "_" and "-" are literal characters
_ = literal character

So, the picture originally named "vacation.jpg", taken on 04 Apr 2010 at
12:27:26 automagically is renamed
vacation-20100403_12-27-26_<latitude>-<longitude>.jpg

Note that it would be nice to figure out a way to use colons in the
hours:minutes:seconds part; but Windows barfs on colons.