From: burtlake on
I have simplified the example ----- I would like to search the table shown
below and determine the amount Pledge by each family. However since there
are last names that are the same, a simple vlookup does not work. For
example, I must define my search so I get Bill Johnson, not Frank Johnson.
For the example, I would like the search result to appear in the column
labeled "Search Result".

Fund Raiser Invitations and Followup

Roberts 22-May Y/N

Invited Attended Pledged (amount) Search Result

Smith Bill Marla N 1000
Smith Jon Sue N 12500
Johnson Bill Carla N 550
Johnson Frank Norma Y 4000
Johnson John Nancy Y 3300

From: Steve Dunn on
I'm not entirely clear what you want here, does this do what you need?

=index($E$1:$E$5,match(1,($A$1:$A$5="Johnson")*
($B$1:$B$5="Bill Carla"),0)