From: PVR on
How can I convert two primary partitions on an external HD into one?
There is no data in either partition. I'm assuming I have to delete
both partitions and then create/format a single primary. Is it that
simple?

Peter.

From: Leonard Grey on
With third-party software: Merge the partitions.

With Windows XP alone, you have two choices:
1- Delete one partition and expand the size of the other with an XP
command line utility called Diskpart. This utility can increase
("extend" in Microsoft-speak) the size of the existing partition into
unallocated space.
2- Delete both partitions and create a new partition.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Tim Meddick on
As Leonard says, you can use third-party software to do this.

However, he did not emphasise that to delete both partitions, and create one large
one out of the resulting space, you *can* do this using the native Windows software.

Just type : diskmgmt.msc into the "Run" box on your Start Menu, to start the Disk
Management console.

Then, click on the drive the two partitions reside on, in the upper pane, then you
can manipulate any partitions and free space displayed in the lower pane[s].

Select "Help" > "Help Topics" from the top menus and locate "Manage basic volumes"
under "Managing Disks" for more help on deleting / creating partitions using Disk
Management.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Leonard Grey on