From: Sharon_wv on
I am designing a database to capture information that will be classified into
two separate categories. I would like to autonumber each record by category.
Is that possible? For example, I will likely have 2000 total records with
200 of those records in Category A and 1800 of the records in Category B.
The information will come to the data entry group in a random format. I
would like to prevent separating the information into the two categories
manually or need to enter them in two separate forms dependent on the
category.

Can I have MS Access autonumber them like this?:

A001 to A200 (for Category A) and then B001 to B1800 (for Category B) on the
same data entry form?

If so, how would I go about doing that? Any assistance will certainly be
appreciated!!

Sharon
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on

"Sharon_wv" <Sharonwv(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am designing a database to capture information that will be classified
>into
> two separate categories. I would like to autonumber each record by
> category.
> Is that possible?

No. Only one autonumber field per table, although, you can create your owb
autoincrement field.

Also, have a look at:

http://www.datastrat.com/Download/AlphaNumeric2K.zip

for some ideas.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Jeff Boyce on
As Arvin points out, the Access Autonumber is not what you're looking for.
Based on your description, you have two fields, not one.

One field is the "category" (A or B). The other field is a sequence number
(1-1800). Don't store those two "facts" in a single field -- instead, use a
query to concantenate them as needed.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Sharon_wv on
Thank you both for your quick responses. My new hurdle, based on your
I've used the ID field as my field to relate the tables through. But that
will not work based now, will it? Both categories A & B (in the main table)
will have the same one-to-many relationship with the other tables and the ID
field was the unique field I used to relate them. Any suggestions of what I
can use instead? Can I still have the auto-number for that purpose (Unique
Identifier) & then do the sequencing in other fields maybe in the main table?
I am very rusty since I haven't played with Access in a couple years. Plus
I now have 2007 so I'm getting used to the difference in looks...

Thanks again for your quick responses. I truly appreciate the help!

From: Jeff Boyce on
Sharon

In your original post, it seemed like you were saying that sequence numbers
1-200 all belonged in category A. Then all the remaining sequence numbers
(201-1800) belonged in category B.

If that's true, the sequence numbers would be unique ... and that's what you
need for relating to other tables!

What am I missing?