From: blackhead on
On 3 Aug, 14:09, "Smirnoff" <some...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>
> I noticed that I had two instances ofiexplore.exerunning in Task Manager
> processes.
>
> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly couldn't
> sign in to WLM.
>
> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run the
> BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to version
> 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>
> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed twoiexplore.exeprocesses (one using about 54,000k the other about 15,000k). So
> then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
> applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>
> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar etc.
> uninstall.
>
> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think it's
> a malware orvirusproblem.

It may be the iexplorer.exe virus which wasn't detected by my anti-
virus software.

Has there been a lot of hard disk drive activity?
From: PaulM on
There are always 2 iexplore.exe in the task manager when you open ie8. Open
a 3rd tab and there will 3, open a 4th tab and there will be 4.
That's the way IE8 works.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Help
www.paulsxp.com

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Did you even bother to read the other replies to this thread?

e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/49ba858f39475b7f

e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/7b3809dae6c38382