From: Smirnoff on
XP Pro, SP3, IE8

I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
processes.

Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly couldn't
sign in to WLM.

Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run the
BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to version
8, so the new version may be the problem.

I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed two
iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about 15,000k). So
then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.

On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar etc.
uninstall.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think it's
a malware or virus problem.

From: Smirnoff on

"Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>
> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
> processes.
>
> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>
> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>
> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>
> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
> etc. uninstall.
>
> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
> it's a malware or virus problem.

May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before

From: Donald Anadell on

> "Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>
>> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task
>> Manager processes.
>>
>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>>
>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>
>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
>> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
>> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>
>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>> etc. uninstall.
>>
>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>> it's a malware or virus problem.
>>

> May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
> seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
> Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before

More Reliable:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.ie8.aspx

IE8 and Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE)
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx

Internet Explorer questions:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

From: Smirnoff on

"Donald Anadell" <danadell(a)nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>>
>>> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task
>>> Manager processes.
>>>
>>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>>> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>>>
>>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>>> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>>> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>>
>>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>>> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
>>> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
>>> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>>
>>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>>> etc. uninstall.
>>>
>>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>>> it's a malware or virus problem.
>>>

>> May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
>> seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
>> Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before
>
> More Reliable:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.ie8.aspx
>
> IE8 and Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE)
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx