From: Cliff on

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/
"U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs"
"Now it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its
hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of �a history of
abuse�. More than 73,000 blogs are out of action as a result."
From: J. Clarke on
On 7/20/2010 5:15 AM, Cliff wrote:

> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/
> "U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs"
> "Now it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its
> hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of �a history of
> abuse�. More than 73,000 blogs are out of action as a result."

It's worse than that, the US government "seized" the domain names of a
number of sites, redirecting them to different IP addresses. Apparently
they did this without enabling legislation, a court order, or any other
due process of law. While it might all have been justified under ICANNs
TOS, I for one would feel better about it if they had put up at least a
token resistance and much much better of ICANN had told the government
"No, if you want us to do this you are going to have to bring us a court
order which we will fight until we win or have exhausted all appeal."

As it sits it appears that your domain can be turned off by the
government on a whim.

That may prove to be a blunder by ICANN and the government.

From: Gunner Asch on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:51:19 -0400, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net>
wrote:

>On 7/20/2010 5:15 AM, Cliff wrote:
>>
>> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/
>> "U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs"
>> "Now it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its
>> hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of �a history of
>> abuse�. More than 73,000 blogs are out of action as a result."
>
>It's worse than that, the US government "seized" the domain names of a
>number of sites, redirecting them to different IP addresses. Apparently
>they did this without enabling legislation, a court order, or any other
>due process of law. While it might all have been justified under ICANNs
>TOS, I for one would feel better about it if they had put up at least a
>token resistance and much much better of ICANN had told the government
>"No, if you want us to do this you are going to have to bring us a court
>order which we will fight until we win or have exhausted all appeal."
>
>As it sits it appears that your domain can be turned off by the
>government on a whim.
>
>That may prove to be a blunder by ICANN and the government.

I wonder if it was the fact that copyright material was freely available
through those cites?

Id think that if they were not in violation writ large..that 1st
Amendment would cover the blogs.

As much as I hate to say this about the current administration...it may
not have anything to do with the blogs..but the repeated copyright
violations.

Time will tell, no?

Gunner

Gunner Asch
From: Richard the Dreaded Libertarian on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:51:19 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
> On 7/20/2010 5:15 AM, Cliff wrote:
>>
>> http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/
> As it sits it appears that your domain can be turned off by the government
> on a whim.
>
> That may prove to be a blunder by ICANN and the government.

Yeah, if anyone's conscious for the mid-terms.

Thanks,
Rich

From: P on

"Cliff" <Clhuprichguesswhat(a)aoltmovetheperiodc.om> wrote in message

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-authorities-shut-down-wordpress-host-with-73000-blogs-100716/
> "U.S. Authorities Shut Down WordPress Host With 73,000 Blogs"
> "Now it appears that a free blogging platform has been taken down by its
> hosting provider on orders from the U.S. authorities on grounds of "a
history of
> abuse". More than 73,000 blogs are out of action as a result."

Blame Banquer!

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Hollywood NetBook ™ Gold Vault