From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 03:35:52 -0500, blacksmith(a)none.com wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:10:30 +0100, "Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >XP Pro, SP3
> >
> >A friend who is new to computers was puzzled that he couldn't access the @
> >sign and kept getting " instead.
> >
> >I explained that he had his comp configured for a US keyboard.
> >
> >Went into Regional Settings but found there was not a UK option for Input
> >Language or keyboard layout.
> >
> >Have done a bit of Googling but the only solutions I can find involve some
> >kind of registry hack.
> >
> >Tried MS Knowledge Base but nothing obvious there.
> >
> >Is there a site that simply allows you to download and install a UK keyboard
> >layout driver?
>
> HUH? Dont they speak English in the UK? How can a key LABELED AS @
> give a " when it's pressed?

What *any* key produces when pressed is a function of the software you
have running, and it can all be changed. For example, you can have a
regular English QWERTYUIOP keyboard work as a Dvorak English keyboard
or work as a French keyboard, etc.

It's a very common problem that someone has a US keyboard but is
running it as a UK keyboard, or vice-versa.

Smirnoff says he couldn't find the choice of a UK keyboard setting,
but almost certainly he just did something wrong in looking for it.
It's there.

> This dont make sense, unless the
> keyboards are labeled differently in the UK.

Yes they are, but that's not relevant.

> (in that case, just get
> a US keyboard

To most typists, what it says on the key is hardly significant. They
are touch typists--their fingers know how to type and what key they
press isn't determined by looking at the keys

> -OR- You do know the key caps can be removed and swapped
> around.

The issue here is what character is produced when you hold down Shift
and press 2. Besides what I said above, changing keys can't possibly
help with this.

> Maybe someone is playing a prank on you too?

No way. This is very simply the difference between US and UK settings.

> Check to be
> sure the keys are labeled correctly.
>
> If this dont solve it, I'm clueless what your problem is. When you
> press a key labeled @ it should type a @.

Again, that is *not* correct.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> "Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Smirnoff" <someone(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> XP Pro, SP3
>>>
>>> A friend who is new to computers was puzzled that he couldn't access the
>>> @ sign and kept getting " instead.
>>>
>>> I explained that he had his comp configured for a US keyboard.
>>>
>>> Went into Regional Settings but found there was not a UK option for
>>> Input Language or keyboard layout.
>>>
>>> Have done a bit of Googling but the only solutions I can find involve
>>> some kind of registry hack.
>>>
>>> Tried MS Knowledge Base but nothing obvious there.
>>>
>>> Is there a site that simply allows you to download and install a UK
>>> keyboard layout driver?
>>
>> On my machine I can see numerous keyboard layouts for the English
>> language, starting with English (Australia) and ending with English
>> (Zimbabwe). You might have missed it or else your friend's machine has
>> been tampered with. What about your own machine, can you see it there?
>>
>> If it is really missing then you have two options:
>> a) Put the missing file back again. I do not know how to do it.
>> b) Roll your own keyboard, using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx). This is an
>> extremely powerful tool but it is not exactly intuitive in its use. Post
>> again if you need detailed instructions. There is no need to hack the
>> registry.
>
> Yes, I see different input languages available on my machine but my
> friend's has English - US and that's all.
>
> He has the comp at the moment and I believe it's an HP, so will check
> model number and see what's available on HP's download site.

Keyboard languages are visible here in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ContentIndex\Language

but there are additional locations where details are held. If you cannot
find the reason why English (UK) is not visible then option b) from my
would let him roll his own keyboard within an hour or so.