From: blacksmith on
When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd like to ask
this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on here moving
to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
others.

What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to get
used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with the
members and any other changes.)

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<blacksmith(a)none.com> wrote in message
> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd like to ask
> this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on here moving
> to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
> others.
>
> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to get
> used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with the
> members and any other changes.)

Here you go:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

From: Greg Russell on
In news:tb0k061iri8eshsq8op3ogiv1dv8u5s31o(a)4ax.com,
blacksmith(a)none.com <blacksmith(a)none.com> typed:

> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?

Micro$oft does not control the Usenet hierarchy, period.

Just because M$ refuses to carry this (and other) Usenet newsgroups on its
servers doesn't mean the newsgroup is dying, it just means that the idiots
that believe anything M$ tells them will "follow" to a web-based "forum"
over which M$ will exercise complete censorship.

http://individual.net and many, many others will continue to support Usenet
newsgroups as long as computers exist.

From: Doug W. on

"Pegasus [MVP]" <news(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> <blacksmith(a)none.com> wrote in message
>> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
>> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
>> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd
>> like to ask
>> this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on
>> here moving
>> to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt.
>> category, and
>> others.
>>
>> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll
>> subscribe
>> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's
>> much to get
>> used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar
>> with the
>> members and any other changes.)
>>

> Here you go:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp
=========
If Microsoft thinks that these NEW forums are an improvement,
then they are sadly mistaken. I think that they are LAME and it
is more difficult to find answers.
==

From: Mike S on
On 6/5/2010 6:30 AM, Greg Russell wrote:
> In news:tb0k061iri8eshsq8op3ogiv1dv8u5s31o(a)4ax.com,
> blacksmith(a)none.com<blacksmith(a)none.com> typed:
>
>> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
>
> Micro$oft does not control the Usenet hierarchy, period.
>
> Just because M$ refuses to carry this (and other) Usenet newsgroups on its
> servers doesn't mean the newsgroup is dying, it just means that the idiots
> that believe anything M$ tells them will "follow" to a web-based "forum"
> over which M$ will exercise complete censorship.
>
> http://individual.net and many, many others will continue to support Usenet
> newsgroups as long as computers exist.

From reading comments about this posted in
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion I believe eternal-september will
continue to carry these groups. I'm using their server to read this
group right now and it works great.

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

- Free access to text groups
- Text-only Usenet access
- More than 60 peers
- Read / write access
- Formerly motzarella.org
- Register free of charge

Web site:
- http://www.eternal-september.org/

News server address:
- news.eternal-september.org (port 119 NNTP, 563 NNTPS)
- reader80.eternal-september.org (port 80)
- reader443.eternal-september.org (port 443 NNTPS)

Plan types:
- text-only Usenet access (no binaries)