From: kraut on

I use free news server news.eternal-september.org

From: Eddie on
kraut wrote:

> I use free news server news.eternal-september.org
>

>> I advocate these groups :
>>
>> "alt.windows-xp" and "alt.msdos.batch" on server "nntp.aioe.org"
>>
>> ...and there are hundreds more groups on that server.
>>
>> (For those using Outlook Express as their newsreader client, you will need
>> to know the server on which the newsgroup resides. i.e. this one is on
>> "msnews.microsoft.com")
>>
>> So goodbye "msnews.microsoft.com"......
>>
>>> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
>>> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
>>> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd like to ask
>>> this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on here moving
>>> to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
>>> others.
>>>
>>> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
>>> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to get
>>> used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with the
>>> members and any other changes.)

I can just use the server that my i.s.p supplies;; it has nearly 50,000
groups, binaries too, and it definately carries the alt. groups. Doesnt
anyones i.s.p carry groups in america etc?

Ed
From: Smirnoff on

"Eddie" <albert(a)greenacres.far> wrote in message
> kraut wrote:
>>
>> I use free news server news.eternal-september.org
>>

>>> I advocate these groups :
>>>
>>> "alt.windows-xp" and "alt.msdos.batch" on server "nntp.aioe.org"
>>>
>>> ...and there are hundreds more groups on that server.
>>>
>>> (For those using Outlook Express as their newsreader client, you will
>>> need to know the server on which the newsgroup resides. i.e. this one is
>>> on "msnews.microsoft.com")
>>>
>>> So goodbye "msnews.microsoft.com"......

> I can just use the server that my i.s.p supplies;; it has nearly 50,000
> groups, binaries too, and it definately carries the alt. groups. Doesnt
> anyones i.s.p carry groups in america etc?
>
> Ed

Interesting point.

I've just checked my ISP provider's (BT) Newsgroups and all the current
Microsoft NGs I subscribe to are listed:

microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
microsoft.public.windowsupdate
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

How long will BT keep them though?

Will people gradually stop posting to them and use the forums?

From: Anthony Buckland on
The news of the death of this group has been somewhat exaggerated/