From: Anthony Buckland on

<blacksmith(a)none.com> wrote in message
> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd like to ask
> this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on here moving
> to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
> others.
>
> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to get
> used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with the
> members and any other changes.)

I'm on news.giganews.com ( you're probably going
to get a variety of answers).

From: VanguardLH on
blacksmith(a)none.com wrote:

> When this newsgroup dies,

This *newsgroup* is NOT dying. Microsoft is dropping the
microsoft.public.* newsgroups and eventually they kill off their NNTP
server. Microsoft is leaving Usenet. Microsoft is NOT Usenet. This
newsgroup will continue to exist on the rest of the worldwide mesh
network of NNTP servers (aka Usenet).

> where is everyone going?

Same place I am now ... on a DIFFERENT newsgroups server over which
Microsoft has no control.

> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon.

Microsoft can only control what is carried on their own NNTP server and
nowhere else.

> I'd like to ask this NOW, before this group is gone.

This newsgroup will continue to exist at Google Groups, Giganews,
Albasani, Eternal-September, and everywhere else that doesn't use
Microsoft's leaving as an excuse to drop those newsgroups.

> Where is everyone on here moving to?

The same place where all Usenetizens have been for decades and long
before Microsoft decided to usurp Usenet back in 2006.

> I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
> others.

But not on Microsoft's NNTP server which carries only the
microsoft.public.* newsgroups. Other NSPs (NNTP service providers)
carry the non-Microsoft and Microsoft newsgroups.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to
> get used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with
> the members and any other changes.)

Albasani and Eternal-September are free NSPs. As such, they only carry
the text newsgroups (but then so did Microsoft's NNTP server for the
microsoft.public.* newsgroups). individual.net is cheap at $16USD/yr
(and also only carries text newsgroups). If you want binary newsgroups,
you'll have to look at paid NSPs, like Giganews, although you might get
a cheaper subscription with NSPs that charge for blocks of bandwidth
(ask over in the alt.free.newsservers group).

From: Mark Blain on
blacksmith(a)none.com wrote in news:tb0k061iri8eshsq8op3ogiv1dv8u5s31o@
4ax.com:

> When this newsgroup dies, where is everyone going?
> I have been seeing messasges on all these "microsoft.public"
> newsgroups that these groups will be vanishing soon. I'd like to ask
> this NOW, before this group is gone. Where is everyone on here moving
> to? I know there are many XP groups, some in the alt. category, and
> others.
>
> What's the most popular alternative newsgroup for XP? I'll subscribe
> to it now and start getting used to it. (Not that there's much to get
> used to, they all work the same, it's just getting familiar with the
> members and any other changes.)

The earlier alternative to microsoft.public.* newsgroups was the
comp.os.ms-windows.* usenet newsgroups, but no one seems interested in
reviving or expanding those.

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=gtype%3D0%2Cusenet%3Dcomp.os.ms-
windows%2C&
From: Tim Meddick on
I advocate these groups :

"alt.windows-xp" and "alt.msdos.batch" on server "nntp.aioe.org"

....and there are hundreds more groups on that server.

(For those using Outlook Express as their newsreader client, you will need
to know the server on which the newsgroup resides. i.e. this one is on
"msnews.microsoft.com")

So goodbye "msnews.microsoft.com"......

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)