From: T on
I will soon complete my MCSA and I am only to aware that I work in an
overcrowded professions where opportunities are not what they were. I would
like to know, if I were to train in Linux, would I improve my future
prospects more than if I were to remain with Microsoft technologies?

I currently have an entry level position and am finding it hard to get a
position to move onto.

Thanks

From: Auric__ on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:39:56 GMT, T wrote:

> I will soon complete my MCSA and I am only to aware that I work in an
> overcrowded professions where opportunities are not what they were. I
> would like to know, if I were to train in Linux, would I improve my
> future prospects more than if I were to remain with Microsoft
> technologies?
>
> I currently have an entry level position and am finding it hard to get a
> position to move onto.

I have to ask, if you knew that it is an "overcrowded profession", then why
go into it in the first place?

As for your question, in general, it's always a good idea to learn more than
one single thing -- but rather than just get some certification, you should
actually *learn the system*. (I know that the cert means that you're
*supposed* to know the system (or whatever), but a piece of paper and
classwork just isn't the same thing as real-world experience.)

--
Truth is an empty cup.
From: Baron on
Auric__ Inscribed thus:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:39:56 GMT, T wrote:
>
>> I will soon complete my MCSA and I am only to aware that I work in an
>> overcrowded professions where opportunities are not what they were.
>> I would like to know, if I were to train in Linux, would I improve my
>> future prospects more than if I were to remain with Microsoft
>> technologies?
>>
>> I currently have an entry level position and am finding it hard to
>> get a position to move onto.
>
> I have to ask, if you knew that it is an "overcrowded profession",
> then why go into it in the first place?

That was my first thought...
My second was $$$$.

> As for your question, in general, it's always a good idea to learn
> more than one single thing -- but rather than just get some
> certification, you should actually *learn the system*. (I know that
> the cert means that you're *supposed* to know the system (or
> whatever), but a piece of paper and classwork just isn't the same
> thing as real-world experience.)

It also depends where in the food chain you want to be. Few employers
want to take on inexperienced techs. The higher up the food chain you
go you are less likely to meet M$ systems. Having said that an awful
lot of small enterprises are not using M$ systems either.

FWIW 75% of my client base is Linux/Open Source and SME.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Grant on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:39:56 -0000, "T" <spamtrap(a)spambouncer.org> wrote:

>I will soon complete my MCSA and I am only to aware that I work in an
>overcrowded professions where opportunities are not what they were. I would
>like to know, if I were to train in Linux, would I improve my future
>prospects more than if I were to remain with Microsoft technologies?

I know a guy who got a unix sys-admin position based on him being part-way
through a computing degree, running a mixed Linux/Mac/Windoze localnet
system at home, and had done some commercial Mac software development.
Several years experience without the qualification got him the job over
candidates with just the training and no experience.

>I currently have an entry level position and am finding it hard to get a
>position to move onto.

Sometimes it's better to follow your own interests and take on-the-job
training when available. Rather than do some course, hoping for a job
at the end. On the job training can be a much better learning context
and you learn deeper if you have the hands-on experience to round out
the formal training.

A friend has computing degree and works mostly doing windows support,
but he uses 'the Penguin' (rescue CDs, data recovery, etc) to solve
many problems that are truly difficult for his windows-only colleagues.
Where he works he's now the person of last resort (expert) for the
sticky issues that plague busted windoze systems.

Grant.