From: Paolo Bellutta on
I have installed Fedora 12 on a new box where I run a DNS, mail
(sendmail), IMAP (dovecot) and http (Apache) server. When I use
squirrelmail *all* users can read their messages but some users have
trouble sending new messages or replying to messages. Once the
message is composed, for the users that have problems, clicking on the
"send" button squirrelmail sits there for minutes then reports the
following error message: "Message not sent. Server replied: 354". I
spent the past two days trying to debug the problem and here are my
findings so far:

- I googled "Message not sent. Server replied: 354" and read and tried
all the suggestions I have found to no avail
- If I use "mail" or "elm" messages can be retrieved and sent for
*all* users without any problem.
- I looked at the log files /var/log/{messages | maillog | httpd/*}
and there is no unusual messages there
- the users that have these problems have been added manually (*) and
not using system-config-users.
- if I create a new user using system-config-users, the new user does
not have any issues.
- if I delete one of the problem users and add it again using system-
config-users, that user still has the same issues.
- in spite of the above message, the message is sent and a copy of the
message gets saved in the Sent folder.
- Disabling SELinux does not have any effect.

So, in short, this problem seems to be related to how I created these
users and to the imap server (given the fact these users can send
using mail and elm).
It does not seem to be related to dns server, sendmail or squirrelmail
installation and configuration.

Questions (assuming nobody has knows how to fix this) :

1) which server is responding 354? Is it Dovecot, Sendmail, Apache?
2) which log files should I look at? Is there a way for me to see
what Squirrelmail is doing? Is there a logfile squirrelmail can write
to?
3) I think I read somewhere that sendmail or imap keeps a database of
users. I had the impression that a user just needed an entry in /etc/
passwd.
4) what other subjects should I search in google, or websites I should
look at, or other usenet newsgroups I should post this to?

Paolo (who is ready and eager to learn!).

(*) I edited the passwd/shadow/gshadow files, manually created their
home dirs, changed the ownership of the home dir and set their
password using passwd.
That's how I always used to add new users, apparently this does not
really work anymore!
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:33:23 -0500, Paolo Bellutta <bellutta(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions (assuming nobody has knows how to fix this) :
> 1) which server is responding 354? Is it Dovecot, Sendmail, Apache?

354 is a standard response from the smtp server, when it's ready
for the actual message to be sent. See http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

I've never used Squirrelmail, so can't help with that, however,
I'd use wireshark to see what's actually being sent/received to
figure out which part is not working properly.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-03-11, Paolo Bellutta <bellutta(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Fedora 12 on a new box where I run a DNS, mail
> (sendmail), IMAP (dovecot) and http (Apache) server. When I use
> squirrelmail *all* users can read their messages but some users have
> trouble sending new messages or replying to messages. Once the
> message is composed, for the users that have problems, clicking on the
> "send" button squirrelmail sits there for minutes then reports the
> following error message: "Message not sent. Server replied: 354". I
> spent the past two days trying to debug the problem and here are my
> findings so far:

compare ownership and permissions on the user's home directory and
subdirectories. (between working anf broken users)

compare also the groups that the users belong to.

From: bellutta on
On Mar 11, 9:33 am, Paolo Bellutta <bellu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Fedora 12 on a new box where I run a DNS, mail
> (sendmail), IMAP (dovecot) and http (Apache)server.  When I usesquirrelmail*all* users can read their messages but some users have
> trouble sending new messages or replying to messages.  Once themessageis composed, for the users that have problems, clicking on the
> "send" buttonsquirrelmailsits there for minutes then reports the
> following errormessage: "Messagenotsent.Serverreplied:354".  I
> spent the past two days trying to debug the problem and here are my
> findings so far:

I finally found what the problem was. My sendmail configuration had
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains') disabled (to reduce spam)
AND my ISP name server does not resolve some domains (including mine).
This combination prevented sendmail to work correctly.

The additional issue was that whenever I was setting a different DNS
in /etc/resolv.conf
the setting was overwritten somehow. I had to use system-config-
network and set
the new name server there to correct the set the name server
permanently.

Oh well. It took me only a week to figure this out. Thanks to
everyone who
replied to my query.

Paolo