From: Pseudonyme on
Hi all,

I am using Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP. compiled on Thu Sep 3 03:33:56
2009.

Using a .htaccess and .htpasswd to protect some folders. Not sure at
all if that method from the 80's is still fine.

To move these files within folders, I am using .txt extentions :
htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt

Once in the appropriate folder : linux command : mv
htaccess.txt .htaccess

So, .htaccess become an hidden file through FTP, and can't be edited
in FTP.

As a consequence, I use linux to see the file : ls -a *

ls -a * (do not ignore entries starting with).

I the past ls -a * was working and listing all hidden files as it is
supposed to DO. Now, may be due to the new fashion in computer
sciences : that does not work anymore as it is supposed to WORK.

Question : "How to list the hidden files using Linux 2009" ?

Thank you Madams and Sirs for your time and patience in this regard.

Cougloff
From: matt on
On Mar 10, 11:53 am, Pseudonyme <normancougl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Oh boy...

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP. compiled on Thu Sep 3 03:33:56
> 2009.

This isn't going to be a php question, is it?

> Using a .htaccess and .htpasswd to protect some folders. Not sure at
> all if that method from the 80's is still fine.

Nope. *sigh*

> To move these files within folders, I am using .txt extentions :
> htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt
>
> Once in the appropriate folder : linux command : mv
> htaccess.txt .htaccess
>
> So, .htaccess become an hidden file through FTP, and can't be edited
> in FTP.

Um...that's not true. I seriously hope you're not "securing" file by
prepending them with a "."

> As a consequence, I use linux to see the file : ls -a *
>
> ls -a * (do not ignore entries starting with).

Well, that comes down to how your shell interprets the glob...You're
saying "list (ls) all (-a) files for everything that matches *", and
leaving it up to your shell to determine what files match *. I don't
know what shell you were using on your last distro, but bash will in
fact ignore .* when given the glob *. Not to mention, that's just not
at all what you want--don't believe me, put a sub-directory in there.
I'm too tired today to explain it. Just use "ls -a".

> I the past ls -a * was working and listing all hidden files as it is
> supposed to DO. Now, may be due to the new fashion in computer
> sciences : that does not work anymore as it is supposed to WORK.

Yes it does. As far as new fashion, I wear khakis, button-down dress
shirts and drive a sports car. Never got into the whole Buddy Holly
glasses and pocket protector thing ;)

> Question : "How to list the hidden files using Linux 2009" ?

man ls, same as "Linux 1989"

> Thank you Madams and Sirs for your time and patience in this regard.

Next time, alt.linux.n00bs
From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:53:25 -0800, Pseudonyme wrote:

> As a consequence, I use linux to see the file : ls -a *
>
> ls -a * (do not ignore entries starting with).
>
> In the past ls -a * was working and listing all hidden files as it is
> supposed to DO.

Wrong! In the past you were in fact just typing ls -a
without the *.

The * tells the shell to match all <files> which are present, and
not any of the <.files> because .file does not match *.

If you wanted to list all of the .file entries in the current
directory you would need to type

ls -d .??*

This assumes you have no files or subdirectories which are named
..<single_character>

The purpose of the ?? is to suppress matching of just . and ..
From: J.O. Aho on
Pseudonyme wrote:

> I am using Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP. compiled on Thu Sep 3 03:33:56
> 2009.

Had been more informative to tell that you are using RedHat 5.4 or CentOS 5.4.

> Using a .htaccess and .htpasswd to protect some folders. Not sure at
> all if that method from the 80's is still fine.

Sure, this is far more effective way than the backward striving MS uses in
their IIS.

> To move these files within folders, I am using .txt extentions :
> htaccess.txt and htpasswd.txt

Why? Feels so 80's, like using MS file system vfat.

> Once in the appropriate folder : linux command : mv
> htaccess.txt .htaccess

> So, .htaccess become an hidden file through FTP, and can't be edited
> in FTP.

That depends on the ftp server settings, files starting with a dor can still
be seen through ftp, if the ftp server don't deliberately not inform about
those files to the ftp client.

> As a consequence, I use linux to see the file : ls -a *
>
> ls -a * (do not ignore entries starting with).

"ls -a *" will show you the content of directories, which is really annoying,
use "ls -a" instead, that way you see content of your current directory, and
you don't have to scroll a million rows.

> I the past ls -a * was working and listing all hidden files as it is
> supposed to DO. Now, may be due to the new fashion in computer
> sciences : that does not work anymore as it is supposed to WORK.

ls -a

> Question : "How to list the hidden files using Linux 2009" ?

There is no Linux 2009, latest released stable version of Linux is 2.6.33 and
somewhat soon 2.6.34 will be released.

Did remove "comp.lang.php" from the newsgroups list, as it's not a relevant
newsgroup for your post.

--

//Aho
From: Pseudonyme on

That might does not come from the hidden file problem.

I created a
Linux : vi rodeo_chan.txt

And I cant view it using ls * or ls -a or ls -a *
That's a basic .txt file !!

I am actually pretty sure that it is coming from the index search
feature. Something I am not used to.

There is a function to refresh the index ? Which one ?

Thank you Sirs for your information, always interesting.

Cougloff,