From: Pseudonyme on

Talking about Microsoft in a Linux group is not appropriate ... but
still.

Search any function with MSDN for a C++ development ... honestly, the
explain is clear.

The idea where Linux or PHP do not offer an exhaustive information
about a defined function (like ls --help) is not professional. PHP
upgrades of versions where the user must rewrite all his website is a
pure nightmare existing today, in 2010 with PHP 5.

Well, the only language we know is Linux + PHP, and Microsoft is
offering a totally different language ... seems complicated. If Linux
& PHP are the English for us, Microsoft is the swedish language for
us ...

..... Hopefully, somewhere, we will meet an organization of knowledge
(library based) within that tips-and-tricks based languages of Linux
and PHP.

Cougloff.
From: Ivan Marsh on
Pseudonyme wrote:

> The idea where Linux or PHP do not offer an exhaustive information
> about a defined function (like ls --help) is not professional.

Uh...

Your understanding, not the tools you don't understand, is the issue.

ls --help:

Usage: ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...
List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default).
Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
-a, --all do not ignore entries starting with .
-A, --almost-all do not list implied . and ..
--author with -l, print the author of each file
-b, --escape print octal escapes for nongraphic characters
--block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks
-B, --ignore-backups do not list implied entries ending with ~
-c with -lt: sort by, and show, ctime (time of
last
modification of file status information)
with -l: show ctime and sort by name
otherwise: sort by ctime
-C list entries by columns
--color[=WHEN] control whether color is used to distinguish
file
types. WHEN may be `never', `always', or
`auto'
-d, --directory list directory entries instead of contents,
and do not dereference symbolic links
-D, --dired generate output designed for Emacs' dired mode
-f do not sort, enable -aU, disable -lst
-F, --classify append indicator (one of */=>@|) to entries
--file-type likewise, except do not append `*'
--format=WORD across -x, commas -m, horizontal -x, long -l,
single-column -1, verbose -l, vertical -C
--full-time like -l --time-style=full-iso
-g like -l, but do not list owner
-G, --no-group like -l, but do not list group
-h, --human-readable with -l, print sizes in human readable format
(e.g., 1K 234M 2G)
--si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024
-H, --dereference-command-line
follow symbolic links listed on the command
line
--dereference-command-line-symlink-to-dir
follow each command line symbolic link
that points to a directory
--hide=PATTERN do not list implied entries matching shell
PATTERN
(overridden by -a or -A)
--indicator-style=WORD append indicator with style WORD to entry
names:
none (default), slash (-p),
file-type (--file-type), classify (-F)
-i, --inode with -l, print the index number of each file
-I, --ignore=PATTERN do not list implied entries matching shell
PATTERN
-k like --block-size=1K
-l use a long listing format
-L, --dereference when showing file information for a symbolic
link, show information for the file the link
references rather than for the link itself
-m fill width with a comma separated list of
entries
-n, --numeric-uid-gid like -l, but list numeric user and group IDs
-N, --literal print raw entry names (don't treat e.g. control
characters specially)
-o like -l, but do not list group information
-p, --indicator-style=slash
append / indicator to directories
-q, --hide-control-chars print ? instead of non graphic characters
--show-control-chars show non graphic characters as-is (default
unless program is `ls' and output is a
terminal)
-Q, --quote-name enclose entry names in double quotes
--quoting-style=WORD use quoting style WORD for entry names:
literal, locale, shell, shell-always, c,
escape
-r, --reverse reverse order while sorting
-R, --recursive list subdirectories recursively
-s, --size with -l, print size of each file, in blocks
-S sort by file size
--sort=WORD extension -X, none -U, size -S, time -t,
version -v, status -c, time -t, atime -u,
access -u, use -u
--time=WORD with -l, show time as WORD instead of
modification
time: atime, access, use, ctime or status; use
specified time as sort key if --sort=time
--time-style=STYLE with -l, show times using style STYLE:
full-iso, long-iso, iso, locale, +FORMAT.
FORMAT is interpreted like `date'; if FORMAT is
FORMAT1<newline>FORMAT2, FORMAT1 applies to
non-recent files and FORMAT2 to recent files;
if STYLE is prefixed with `posix-', STYLE
takes effect only outside the POSIX locale
-t sort by modification time
-T, --tabsize=COLS assume tab stops at each COLS instead of 8
-u with -lt: sort by, and show, access time
with -l: show access time and sort by name
otherwise: sort by access time
-U do not sort; list entries in directory order.
In combination with one_per_line format `-1',
it will show files immediately and it has no
memory limitations.
-v sort by version
-w, --width=COLS assume screen width instead of current value
-x list entries by lines instead of by columns
-X sort alphabetically by entry extension
-1 list one file per line

SELinux options:

--lcontext Display security context. Enable -l. Lines
will probably be too wide for most displays.
-Z, --context Display security context so it fits on most
displays. Displays only mode, user, group,
security context and file name.
--scontext Display only security context and file name.

--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following:
kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y.

By default, color is not used to distinguish types of files. That is
equivalent to using --color=none. Using the --color option without the
optional WHEN argument is equivalent to using --color=always. With
--color=auto, color codes are output only if standard output is connected
to a terminal (tty). The environment variable LS_COLORS can influence the
colors, and can be set easily by the dircolors command.

Exit status is 0 if OK, 1 if minor problems, 2 if serious trouble.

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils(a)gnu.org>.

--
"All right, all right, if it will make you happy, I will overthrow society."
  - Philip J. Fry
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:53:25 -0500, Pseudonyme <normancougloff(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I the past ls -a * was working and listing all hidden files as it is
> supposed to DO. Now, may be due to the new fashion in computer

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I just got
around to checking. :-)

With bash, the only way that would show hidden files, would be if
you, or your startup scripts ran "shopt -s dotglob" first.

Regards, Dave Hodgins