From: Ivan Marsh on
Pseudonyme wrote:

> Thank you!
>
> 1- LOCATE
> locate .htaccess
> /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/domains/databases/phpMyAdmin/
> libraries/.htaccess

The slocate database is updated nightly in a cron job. To update it manually
run: updatedb
(you must be root)

> 2- ls -d .?? *
> That one does not show the hidden files within a folder. An hidden
> file is for instance a file named .htaccess that secure the folder
> access.
> ls -a * was working FINE before and THAT DOES NOT WORK normally
> anymore.

ls -a

Will show all .* files.

> 3- Mail destroyed.
> Upgrading from PHP 3 to PHP 5 killed our mail flow.
> We do not receive anymore the emails in HTML format because PHP adds a
> line on the top : Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
> Second, The sender name is not referenced anymore.

No idea what you're talking about there.

> Microsoft is not the subject, but, when Microsoft goes from XP to
> Vista, they ensure that 99% of the applications will still work on the
> new platform. The 1% that does not work are bad applications or, or,
> or . . . end of little story about the 1%.

This couldn't be more inaccurate. Microsoft has compatibility issue even
with their own software. What that has to do with your question I have no
idea.

> We will struggle to have the mail flow back, and ensured the PHP.INI
> enable function to open socket ... but if you have anything about "PHP
> 5.0 corrupts my email flow" I would again please ask you and the group
> to receive my best thanks.

We would need to know more about what you're talking about... I assume
you're using some kind of PHP e-mail system?

--
"All right, all right, if it will make you happy, I will overthrow society."
  - Philip J. Fry
From: J G Miller on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:07:22 -0800, Pseudonyme wrote:

> ls -d .?? *

^
^

Omit the SPACE!

ls -d .??*

And to list everything in the directory, both dot and regular files
just do

ls -a

WITHOUT the * (as other have kindly stated)

To get a fuller listing of everything, both dot and regular files
just do

ls -als

WITHOUT a *
From: Pseudonyme on

That works :

ls -d .??* shows .htaccess file within a directory.

ls -a shows all normal files while ls -als shows all files including
hidden files as .htaccess

But, if I study the help library ls --help : I see that these commands
are not standard. So, it was not possible for us to have these tips
and tricks only studying the documentation. The question was
mandatory. Thank you for your answer.

Cougloff
From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 00:23:20 -0800, Pseudonyme wrote:

> But, if I study the help library ls --help : I see that these commands
> are not standard.

ls -a is about as standard as it gets ;)

Try the command "man ls", which produces the output --

NAME
ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
List information about the FILEs (the current directory by
default).
Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX nor --sort.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short
options
too.

-a, --all
do not ignore entries starting with .

A manual page (if available) will provide you with a much more
detailed explanation than the output of <command> --help

And if you are not sure what command is appropriate for a particular
job, try the apropos command (or whatis, which acts like man -k),
eg apropos help

From: unruh on
On 2010-03-11, Pseudonyme <normancougloff(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> That works :
>
> ls -d .??* shows .htaccess file within a directory.
>
> ls -a shows all normal files while ls -als shows all files including
> hidden files as .htaccess

> But, if I study the help library ls --help : I see that these commands
> are not standard. So, it was not possible for us to have these tips
> and tricks only studying the documentation. The question was
> mandatory. Thank you for your answer.

I think you are confused. ls -als is the same as ls -a -l -s, and
all three of those are shown in ls --help.
als is NOT an option, it is three different options.
multiletter options must be proceeded by -- as with ls --help

Note that ls -a shows files such as .htaccess as well.