From: Joe on
Hi all,

I'm attempting to come up to speed on KMDF and UMDF driver development. I'm
looking at developing a virtual disk/RAID driver. It seems that Storport fits
this scenario perfectly, please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is, are you able to write a Storport driver using UMDF? I have
not found anything explicitly saying that you must use KMDF.

Thanks,
Joe
From: Don Burn on
No, you cannot use either UMDF. For a virtual storport, you can create a
"thin" storport with a driver below it that is KMDF to do the real work.
There is an excellent series of articles on virtual storport with sample
code at http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?article=538 (note you will
need to create an account, no cost).

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

From: Maxim S. Shatskih on
> looking at developing a virtual disk/RAID driver. It seems that Storport fits
> this scenario perfectly, please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes. Note that XP has no Storport, it started in Srv2003.

> My question is, are you able to write a Storport driver using UMDF? I have
> not found anything explicitly saying that you must use KMDF.

Forget UMDF.

The lower egde of the virtual Storport driver can be KMDF, but only if you will use it in miniport mode.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

From: Joe on
Thanks Don. This looks like exactly what I need.