From: SRC on
Can anyone recommend an UPS that works well with Windows, doesn't beep at
you when the power goes off, and will stay on for about 20 minutes and only
shut down the PC if it has to.

These used to work well, but now the ones they sell just shut down and don't
even turn Windows off.

Specifically the new ones I get from APC seem worthless.. Thanks.

From: Bobby Johnson on
I am using an APC Back-UPS RS-1000 with Windows 7 and it meets or
exceeds all your criteria below using the APC PCPE_2.2 software.

In fact I have been using APC UPS hardware for almost 20 years now and
have absolutely no complaints at all!

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
You'll need software to shut down the PC - most companies, including APC,
ship something with their UPSs, or have it for download on their sites.
Windows used to have a built in UPS application, but Server 2008 dropped
that.

Sizing the UPS will control how long you get to run without power. For a
typical workstation, a 500-750 VA UPS should be sufficient to give you that
long, though the VA isn't the only determinant of how long it will last, but
does tell you what load it can handle.

All UPSs will beep at you when the power is off. Some of them have software
options to disable that. But pretty much all of them have it on by default.

There are many other considerations when talking about UPSs, including
online/offline, true sine wave or not, and response time. Within a given
product line, you pretty much get what you pay for.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

From: James Kosin on
On 3/12/2010 5:30 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> You'll need software to shut down the PC - most companies, including
> APC, ship something with their UPSs, or have it for download on their
> sites. Windows used to have a built in UPS application, but Server 2008
> dropped that.
>
> Sizing the UPS will control how long you get to run without power. For a
> typical workstation, a 500-750 VA UPS should be sufficient to give you
> that long, though the VA isn't the only determinant of how long it will
> last, but does tell you what load it can handle.
>
> All UPSs will beep at you when the power is off. Some of them have
> software options to disable that. But pretty much all of them have it on
> by default.
>
> There are many other considerations when talking about UPSs, including
> online/offline, true sine wave or not, and response time. Within a given
> product line, you pretty much get what you pay for.

The software from APC will even let you tell it you want the beeping
turned OFF during certain hours of the day.

I use to use TripLite, but have come around to using APC.

Almost all UPS companies have simple calculators you can use to
determine how long the system will last on a given load.

Usually, though the longer you want expect to pay a bit more for the
UPS. But, it is worth the extra money.

James
From: Drew on
I have got to go along with the others and say APC. I also have been using
there upper end UPS for home/office and have never had a problem with
shutdowns. Sizing it properly and staying away from the very low end
supplies and you will be fine. just my 3 cents.

"James Kosin" <james_kosin(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 3/12/2010 5:30 PM, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> You'll need software to shut down the PC - most companies, including
>> APC, ship something with their UPSs, or have it for download on their
>> sites. Windows used to have a built in UPS application, but Server 2008
>> dropped that.
>>
>> Sizing the UPS will control how long you get to run without power. For a
>> typical workstation, a 500-750 VA UPS should be sufficient to give you
>> that long, though the VA isn't the only determinant of how long it will
>> last, but does tell you what load it can handle.
>>
>> All UPSs will beep at you when the power is off. Some of them have
>> software options to disable that. But pretty much all of them have it on
>> by default.
>>
>> There are many other considerations when talking about UPSs, including
>> online/offline, true sine wave or not, and response time. Within a given
>> product line, you pretty much get what you pay for.
>>
> The software from APC will even let you tell it you want the beeping
> turned OFF during certain hours of the day.
>
> I use to use TripLite, but have come around to using APC.
>
> Almost all UPS companies have simple calculators you can use to determine
> how long the system will last on a given load.
>
> Usually, though the longer you want expect to pay a bit more for the UPS.
> But, it is worth the extra money.
>
> James

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2