From: MS on
Hi all,
I have a Core 2 Duo E8500, 2x2048 DDR2 1066, Raid 2x Samsung 7200 rpm and a
4850 from Powercolor. The PSU is a chieftech 360W. The system works normaly.
The question is: an Uninterruptible Power System (Phasak PH9920) with a
output of 2000Va (1080 W) should sustain my system during power cut for how
many minutes? Also the UPS will have to support a 20"LCD monitor.

Note : in Idle mode

From: Charlie Hoffpauir on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:12:51 +0100, "MS" <MANUEL.SILVA(a)MEGAMAIL.PT>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have a Core 2 Duo E8500, 2x2048 DDR2 1066, Raid 2x Samsung 7200 rpm and a
>4850 from Powercolor. The PSU is a chieftech 360W. The system works normaly.
>The question is: an Uninterruptible Power System (Phasak PH9920) with a
>output of 2000Va (1080 W) should sustain my system during power cut for how
>many minutes? Also the UPS will have to support a 20"LCD monitor.
>
>Note : in Idle mode

Although I'm not familiar with that UPS, I'll comment that it is
entirely dependent on the battery in that unit. Both the capacity of
it (in Amp-Hrs) and the age and condition of it. In general, these
batteries will last about 3-5 years, and capacity will decrease
depending on how they are used (or abused) during that time. Your best
way to determine the sustaining time for your system is to actually
test it with your UPS. However, don't allow the UPS battery to go
completely "flat" because that damages the cell and so reduces the
capacity. My APC units have a display that indicates remaining time
(an estimate, but useful). Double check that by actually timing the
time it takes to reach 50% of the time it initially displayed.
--
Charlie Hoffpauir

Everything is what it is because it got that way....D'Arcy Thompson
From: Paul on
MS wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a Core 2 Duo E8500, 2x2048 DDR2 1066, Raid 2x Samsung 7200 rpm
> and a 4850 from Powercolor. The PSU is a chieftech 360W. The system
> works normaly. The question is: an Uninterruptible Power System (Phasak
> PH9920) with a output of 2000Va (1080 W) should sustain my system during
> power cut for how many minutes? Also the UPS will have to support a
> 20"LCD monitor.
>
> Note : in Idle mode

The parameter of interest is called "run time". It is not
stated on the phasak.com web site, so it is not possible to say
how long the system will remain running. You will have to
contact Phasak, to get the necessary information.

Find a manufacturer with more detailed specifications.

For example, take a look at this page. There is a 2200VA
unit here. Now scroll down to the "run time" graph. When
a 500W load is present on that UPS, the run time is
66.9 minutes.

http://www.apcc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SMT2200

(Runtime graph - close up view)
http://www.apcc.com/products/runtimegraph/runtime_graph.cfm?base_sku=SMT2200&chartSize=large

Your electrical load is:
idle busy
65/0.90 = 72W into Vcore for CPU 6W 72W
50W motherboard plus RAM 50W? 50W
12W per disk drive times 2 24W? 24W
CD/DVD 12V at 1.5A, 5V at 1.5A 7.5W 25.5W
Fans 6W 6W
USB loading 10W 10W
HD 4850 video ** 41W 115W
20inchLCD 40W 40W

Total 184.5 342.5

** http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/sapphire-toxic-hd4850_5.html#sect0

Using the example runtime graph for the SMT2200, and using
a 184.5W idle computer loading, gives a runtime of 3 hours.
That is a function of the size of the battery, how efficiently
it can be discharged via presenting a small load, and the conversion
efficiency of the inverter inside the UPS.

Charlie Hoffpauir mentions the "amp-hours" of the battery.
If you could get a specification for the internal battery
of the Phasak PH9920, and compare it to the amp-hours of the
SMT2200, you would get some idea of how much comparable
run time you might get.

APCC uses a rating called volt-amp-hour or VA-hour for the battery.

The SMT2200 claims to use an RBC55 battery pack, with a
volt-amp-hour rating of 816. In the above example, the
run time graph predicts a 184.5W load can run for 3 hours.
3 * 184.5 = 554 volt-amp-hour. So the SMT2200 gets about
68% of the power stored in the battery.

If you can get a battery volt-amp-hour rating for the
Phasak PH9920, you could estimate the run time by taking
68% of the battery rating, then dividing by 184.5 to
get run time in hours.

The "2200VA" refers to the maximum load you can connect
to the UPS. That would be like connecting an electric
toaster. If you connected a toaster and ran it from the UPS,
you'd get anywhere from 7 minutes to 20 minutes run time.
Which is enough time to make some toast. Your computer
represents a more moderate load, so the UPS will have
a much longer runtime with it connected.

Paul
From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <4bf45461$0$11618$a729d347(a)news.telepac.pt>, MS
<MANUEL.SILVA(a)MEGAMAIL.PT> writes

>I have a Core 2 Duo E8500, 2x2048 DDR2 1066, Raid 2x Samsung 7200 rpm and a
>4850 from Powercolor. The PSU is a chieftech 360W. The system works normaly.
>The question is: an Uninterruptible Power System (Phasak PH9920) with a
>output of 2000Va (1080 W) should sustain my system during power cut for how
>many minutes? Also the UPS will have to support a 20"LCD monitor.

Your system unit will draw 120-150W at idle (a lot more when it's
running full pelt), the monitor, depending on its age, another 50-60W.
Let's say 200W total.

So for a 1kW UPS you might expect a 5 hour run time. But it's not this
simple. It depends on the battery condition and level of charge, how
efficient your power supply is, and if you research the UPS spec you may
find it's not rated for 100% duty cycle.

The APC site suggests that for a 200W load on its 2200VA Smart UPS, you
would get a run time of 3hr 6min, the 1500VA 1hr 24min. The UPS you're
looking at, being 2000VA, will fall somewhere between those two, and
realistically, you should halve that time to allow for battery condition
and PSU inefficiency.

I would strongly recommend paying a little more for an APC unit
(www.apcc.com) over some cheap brand. That Phasak looks OK but I've
never heard of them.

Also be aware that the batteries are regarded as a consumable item,
you'll need to replace them every three to four years to maintain the
runtime at a reasonable level.

--
Mike Tomlinson
From: John Doe on
Mike Tomlinson <mike none.invalid> wrote:

> MS <MANUEL.SILVA MEGAMAIL.PT> writes
>
>> I have a Core 2 Duo E8500, 2x2048 DDR2 1066, Raid 2x Samsung
>> 7200 rpm and a 4850 from Powercolor. The PSU is a chieftech
>> 360W. The system works normaly. The question is: an
>> Uninterruptible Power System (Phasak PH9920) with a output of
>> 2000Va (1080 W) should sustain my system during power cut for
>> how many minutes? Also the UPS will have to support a 20"LCD
>> monitor.
>
> Your system unit will draw 120-150W at idle (a lot more when
> it's running full pelt)

If it really matters, spend $20 US on a Kill-A-Watt and find out,
instead of making silly guesses.