From: Metspitzer on
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Internal-Hi-Speed-Front-Bay/dp/tech-data/B000GGQ2SW/ref=de_a_smtd

I called and talked to a tech support guy at Cables To Go. He says
that this hub does plug into the mobo (as opposed to plugging into an
internal USB jack) and it also gets power from the power supply.

I believe him, but it would be nice to get it in writing. Amazon has
been very good at settling any dispute in my favor, but you still have
to pay shipping.

Either I am not smart enough to find this info, or it is just not
listed.

Anyone know how I can make sure it is the right one?

From: Metspitzer on
On Thu, 06 May 2010 16:42:59 -0400, Metspitzer <kilowatt(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Internal-Hi-Speed-Front-Bay/dp/tech-data/B000GGQ2SW/ref=de_a_smtd
>
>I called and talked to a tech support guy at Cables To Go. He says
>that this hub does plug into the mobo (as opposed to plugging into an
>internal USB jack) and it also gets power from the power supply.
>
>I believe him, but it would be nice to get it in writing. Amazon has
>been very good at settling any dispute in my favor, but you still have
>to pay shipping.
>
>Either I am not smart enough to find this info, or it is just not
>listed.
>
>Anyone know how I can make sure it is the right one?

BTW he says the black version also has indicator lights but I don't
see that either.
From: Mike Easter on
Metspitzer wrote:
<snip Amazon link>

If you are going to look at and think about the device, why not look at
its info at Cables to Go instead of Amazon?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1534&sku=30564 4-Port USB
2.0 Front-Bay Hub - Black

That link also has some reviews, including negative remarks about the
connecting.^1^2

> I called and talked to a tech support guy at Cables To Go. He says
> that this hub does plug into the mobo (as opposed to plugging into an
> internal USB jack) and it also gets power from the power supply.

The device cable wants a USB B type plug. It has some kind of power
cable not well described^0 unless there is also a manual.

^0 Has one upstream B header port, and four downstream A Ports ... PC or
Mac� with an available USB type A downstream port ... One internal power
cable

^1 the wire has to be routed outside the computer and plugged into an
existing USB port. So you lose one port. Thus your net gain in USB ports
is only 3. Yes it works, but it should use a motherboard plug for the
connection instead of wasting an existing port on the outside of the
computer

^2 I would have preferred that the device hook up to the 8 pin USB
header on the motherboard. Luckily I had USB add on card that had an
internal connection which was compatible with the connector on the hub.

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
Metspitzer wrote:

> I called and talked to a tech support guy at Cables To Go. He says
> that this hub does plug into the mobo (as opposed to plugging into an
> internal USB jack) and it also gets power from the power supply.

If you look at the 2 port bays at Cables, they come with a motherboard
cable -- so it is possible that they - Cables - have changed the
'configuration' of what you get with the 4 port bay to be more like what
you get with the 2 port because of the complaints.

--
Mike Easter
From: DevilsPGD on
In message <pfa6u518eo2493af03md4lav9a0clpoacl(a)4ax.com> Metspitzer
<kilowatt(a)charter.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>BTW he says the black version also has indicator lights but I don't
>see that either.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=7035&sku=30564 does show
lights if you click on the image and look at the high-resolution front
shot.

I wouldn't trust Amazon's photos to be exactly what you get.