From: Warren on
On Aug 4, 5:26 pm, Brian Drummond <brian_drumm...(a)btconnect.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 06:13:31 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Brian, I made some minor tweaks to the tutorial to be clearer about
> >the
> >platforms (and fixed the unix path).
>
> Very useful clarifications, thanks!
>
> It'll probably be the weekend before I can try it, but the instructions now give
> me much more confidence that it'll work on Linux.
>
> - Brian

If you run into any Linux AVR-GCC issues you think are worth sharing,
I could add them to the tutorial as well. Good luck with that!

I'm curious: Precisely which chip and programmer did you get?

Warren
From: Brian Drummond on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
>page,

>The Arduino focus has always been to make it easy for people to get
>started and teaching, which is ok. But I think they've sometimes
>"dumbed it down" too much. They don't want their students to get
>confused by technical details like upload baud rates or I/O ports
>and pins. They'd prefer them to know that the LED is "digital pin 13"
>instead of Port B, bit 5 (on a particular chip). Anyway, that's
>just my opinion- I like to drive.

Forgot to mention:

this looks like a candidate for an "Arduino" package which contains all the
renames, so you can "with Arduino" and write
Arduino.Led := On;
or, if you want to drive the port directly, simply read the package instead of
rummaging through data sheets and schematics.

Led types should be enumerations, or renamed subtypes of boolean, (On,Off) or
(Off,On) according to the way they are connected, rather than (True,False).

- Brian