From: Warren on
Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
page,
my own notes on using the USB Boarduino (Arduino) with AVR-Ada.
It can be found here:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Tutorial#USB_Boarduino_Tutorial

If you are currently using the Arduino, this should make it easier to
get
started with AVR-Ada. This documents some things that are specific
to the Arduino environment that took me some time to work out.
Consider it the "fast track".

The Arduino focus has always been to make it easy for people to get
started and teaching, which is ok. But I think they've sometimes
"dumbed it down" too much. They don't want their students to get
confused by technical details like upload baud rates or I/O ports
and pins. They'd prefer them to know that the LED is "digital pin 13"
instead of Port B, bit 5 (on a particular chip). Anyway, that's
just
my opinion- I like to drive.

So I've documented a few Arduino details that may be of interest
in that tutorial.

Warren
From: Brian Drummond on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
>page,
>my own notes on using the USB Boarduino (Arduino) with AVR-Ada.
>It can be found here:
>
>https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Tutorial#USB_Boarduino_Tutorial
>
>If you are currently using the Arduino, this should make it easier to
>get
>started with AVR-Ada. This documents some things that are specific
>to the Arduino environment that took me some time to work out.
>Consider it the "fast track".

>So I've documented a few Arduino details that may be of interest
>in that tutorial.
>
>Warren

Thanks!

One or two questions though:

"I'm going to assume you have Cygwin installed (or using Linux).
Alternatively, you may be using a DOS or MSYS shell instead.
To install AVR-Ada currently, you need to download and install:

1. WinAVR-20100110-install.exe
2. AVR-Ada-1.1.0.exe "

It seems these instructions are Windows only, despite the assumption.

Presumably WinAVR is unnecessary; the only tool I can see in the Linux section
is avrdude, available from
http://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/
The Linux AVR-Ada binaries are very obsolete - 0.41 - so presumably it's built
from source.

But then:
"If you're using Linux instead (not using Cygwin), your make file can be
simpler:
MCU=atmega168p
AVRDUDE_CONF=C:/WinAVR-20100110/bin/avrdude.conf"

C:?
Makes me wonder if you ARE using WinAVR, but under Wine?
If so, it's worth mentioning which version of Wine it was tested with.
Or is this a Cygwin-ism that escaped into the Linux script?

If you can easily answer these - great! If not, you may just have inspired me to
test it for myself. I bought an Arduino in, ahem, March, and it's been waiting
for a spare moment ;-)

- Brian

From: Warren on
On Aug 4, 6:52 am, Brian Drummond <brian_drumm...(a)btconnect.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
> >page,
> >my own notes on using the USB Boarduino (Arduino) with AVR-Ada.
> >It can be found here:
>
> >https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Tutori....

> One or two questions though:
>
> "I'm going to assume you have Cygwin installed (or using Linux).
> Alternatively, you may be using a DOS or MSYS shell instead.
> To install AVR-Ada currently, you need to download and install:
>
>    1. WinAVR-20100110-install.exe
>    2. AVR-Ada-1.1.0.exe "
>
> It seems these instructions are Windows only, despite the assumption.

True, as far as WinAVR is concerned. I assumed Linux users
would naturally use the AVR tool chain instead.

> Presumably WinAVR is unnecessary; the only tool I can see in the Linux section
> is avrdude, available fromhttp://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/
> The Linux AVR-Ada binaries are very obsolete - 0.41 - so presumably it's built
> from source.

Ya, I didn't try out the Linux tools for it. But you're right, some
clarification would be useful.

> MCU=atmega168p
> AVRDUDE_CONF=C:/WinAVR-20100110/bin/avrdude.conf"
>
> C:?
> Makes me wonder if you ARE using WinAVR, but under Wine?

No, that should be changed to a UNIX path. ;-)

> If you can easily answer these - great! If not, you may just have inspired me to
> test it for myself. I bought an Arduino in, ahem, March, and it's been waiting
> for a spare moment ;-)
>
> - Brian

I only tested with WinAVR, even though Linux would be my development
platform
by choice. But my music recording software is Windows specific, and I
generally
like keeping things in one place. I have Linux, Solaris etc. on other
machines
here, but keeping my consoles all working is a pain.

But I know there are many people using AVR under Linux. So give it
a try. Like you said, you may need to download sources though.

Warren

From: Warren on
wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
> >page,
> >my own notes on using the USB Boarduino (Arduino) with AVR-Ada.
> >It can be found here:
>
> >https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Tutori....
> Presumably WinAVR is unnecessary; the only tool I can see in the Linux section
> is avrdude, available fromhttp://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/
> The Linux AVR-Ada binaries are very obsolete - 0.41 - so presumably it's built
> from source.
> - Brian

Brian, I made some minor tweaks to the tutorial to be clearer about
the
platforms (and fixed the unix path). While I've not used AVR-GCC
under
Linux, it is probably a genrally better experience than WinAVR,
provided
you can find reasonably recent packages.

The following might be a good place to start:

http://www.avrfreaks.net/wiki/index.php/Documentation:AVR_GCC

Otherwise google AVR-GCC.

Warren
From: Brian Drummond on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 06:13:31 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3wwg(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 4, 6:52�am, Brian Drummond <brian_drumm...(a)btconnect.com>
>wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 19:50:20 -0700 (PDT), Warren <ve3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Rolf graciously granted me access to add to the AVR-Ada's Tutorial
>> >page,
>> >my own notes on using the USB Boarduino (Arduino) with AVR-Ada.
>> >It can be found here:
>>
>> >https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/avr-ada/index.php?title=Tutori...
>> Presumably WinAVR is unnecessary; the only tool I can see in the Linux section
>> is avrdude, available fromhttp://www.nongnu.org/avrdude/
>> The Linux AVR-Ada binaries are very obsolete - 0.41 - so presumably it's built
>> from source.
>> - Brian
>
>Brian, I made some minor tweaks to the tutorial to be clearer about
>the
>platforms (and fixed the unix path).

Very useful clarifications, thanks!

It'll probably be the weekend before I can try it, but the instructions now give
me much more confidence that it'll work on Linux.

- Brian