From: oc9ine on
Hi,

I have Windows xp sp3 on Intel D845gvsr+512mb ram+intel pentium 4-2.4ghz.

My problem is that windows xp sp3 is detecting my USB pen drives as
Unknown devices whereas those drives are working fine on other computers
with comparably same specs.
I tried following:
1: Fresh installed windows xp sp3.
2: Installed video,audio, intel inf drivers.

Then plugged in my usb pen drive but it is still being detected as
- Unknown device.

My whole system is otherwise working fine, no problem with other NON-USB
devices on system but this USB DEVICES thing is just making me crazy.

Plz help me thoroughly as I can not afford to change my system.

Waiting in positive expectation.

Regards.

Oc9ine.
From: airsmoothed on
On Dec 10, 12:34 pm, oc9ine <oc9...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Windows xp sp3 on Intel D845gvsr+512mb ram+intel pentium 4-2.4ghz.
>
> My problem is that windows xp sp3 is detecting my USB pen drives as
> Unknown devices whereas those drives are working fine on other computers
> with comparably same specs.
> I tried following:
> 1: Fresh installed windows xp sp3.
> 2: Installed video,audio, intel inf drivers.
>
> Then plugged in my usb pen drive but it is still being detected as
> - Unknown device.
>
> My whole system is otherwise working fine, no problem with other NON-USB
> devices on system but this USB DEVICES thing is just making me crazy.
>
> Plz help me thoroughly as I can not afford to change my system.
>
> Waiting in positive expectation.
>
> Regards.
>
> Oc9ine.

First thing I'd try is to copy the Windows usbstor.sys file from a
known working machine to the dodgy one, I had exactly the same problem
and this fixed it for me on one occasion.

On a different occasion on a different machine with the same symtoms
fixing was much more hassle, had to wade into the registry and check
the user priviliges for the USB ports or somesuch. I'll see if I've
still got the link to the forum discussion I found on the subject.
From: oc9ine on
I will try your first point but plz try finding your forum link.

From: smlunatick on
On Dec 10, 3:03 pm, oc9ine <oc9...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I will try your first point but plz try finding your forum link.
>
> > First thing I'd try is to copy the Windows usbstor.sys file from a
> > known working machine to the dodgy one, I had exactly the same problem
> > and this fixed it for me on one occasion.
>
> > On a different occasion on a different machine with the same symtoms
> > fixing was much more hassle, had to wade into the registry and check
> > the user priviliges for the USB ports or somesuch. I'll see if I've
> > still got the link to the forum discussion I found on the subject.

Clear out the Unknown entries and disconnect the flash drive. Then,
re-attempt to connect the flash drive. If this is still coming up as
"Unknown" then you might have a physical "hardware" problem with the
actual USB ports.