From: teabag on
Does anyone know can you partition a USB flash drive?

I want to cut an 8Gb drive into slices each less than 2Gb.

Do I need any special software.

teabag

From: Bob on
Why partition as opposed to using several folders?

From: HeyBub on
teabag wrote:
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Why do I want to partition the drive?
>
> A (latent) bug in an old version M$ Money causes it to protest when
> making backups if there is more than 2Gb of free space at the
> (external) destination. When this version of Money was invented 2Gb
> storage would have been unknown / unaffordable and the bug would
> never have been apparent. Its no big deal - I can work round in other
> ways if partitioning is impossible.

You COULD buy a box of CrackerJacks.

I think some come with 1GB flash drives as the prize at the bottom...

From: ju.c on
"Acronis Disk Director" can partition 'USB Flash Drives' but
Windows won't "see" it. The following instructions will allow
your partitined UFD to be seen in Windows. You can then use
Windows built-in 'Disk Management' utility to partition it.

cfadisk.sys - CompactFlash Fixed Disk Filter Driver
2003 Hitachi Global Storage Technologies

XP will only allow access to the first partition on a "Removable Disk".
This procedure will change things so that USB Flash Drives can be used
just like a normal "Local Disk".

INSTRUCTIONS (Example)

1. Download the driver:
http://www.lancelhoff.com/downloads/USB_LocalDisk.zip

2. Open the "Device Manager".
(paste into the Run box: devmgmt.msc)

3. Expand "Disk Drives" then right-click the USB Flash Drive
and select "Properties". Open the "Details" tab. Select
the text for "Device Instance Id" and copy it by pressing
Ctrl+C. (Leave Device Manager open)

4. Open cfadisk.inf with Notepad.

5. Replace "device_instance_id_goes_here" with the "Device
Instance Id" from step 2. Example:

OLD
[cfadisk_device]
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,device_instance_id_goes_here

NEW
[cfadisk_device]
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DATATRAVELER_2.0&REV_1.00

(Skip the end number: ...REV_1.00\89900000000000006CB02ADA&0)

6. Save the file then go back to the Device Manager. Right-click
the USB Flash Drive and select "Update Driver...". Select these
options to install the new driver:

- Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) : Next>
- Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. : Next>
- Click the "Have Disk..." button.
- Browse to the file: cfadisk.inf
- Click OK

7. Done! Now your flash drive can be partitioned!

Links

Multi partition a USB flash drive in Windows
http://www.lancelhoff.com/multi-partition-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/
http://www.pendriveapps.com/downloads/lexar_usb_format.zip

Make Windows see any USB flash drive as local disk
http://www.lancelhoff.com/make-windows-see-any-usb-flash-drive-as-local-disk/
http://www.lancelhoff.com/downloads/USB_LocalDisk.zip

ju.c

From: teabag on
Thank you, ju.c for such clear advice. The only small problem I had (WinXP
Pro SP3) arose after your Step 6 when Windows wanted a steer to
cfadisk.sys - so I told it where to look and the installation was then
complete. All works OK and my USB Flash Drive is now partitioned just as I
wish.

teabag