From: Mark Hobley on
I need to buy a couple of usb networking adaptors for some of my
computers, and am looking for recommendations, before I jump on ebay to
try and source them.

The adaptors should all be capable of running using open source
(preferably kernel.org team provided drivers), and should use inbuilt
firmware, rather than requiring swirmware images to be uploaded from the
host.

Does anyone know any models for any of the following device types that
meet this requirement?

Firstly, I need a usb wifi wireless adaptor.

Secondly, I could also do with a usb networking adaptor that provides a
100 base T ethernet port, for connectivity to my existing networking
infrastructure.

Finally, I would like a bluetooth adaptor to enable me to transfer data
from my mobile phone.

I would rather have separate adaptors, rather than a combination adaptor
that meets all requirements.

Also, it would be really nice (although not an absolute requirement), if
the adaptors also worked with openbsd again with an open source drivers
(enabling me to switch kernel at a later date).

I do look at third party compatibility lists, but they do not make it
clear which adaptors have inbuilt firmware, and which are using
uploadable swirmware.

I really need answers from people who are using such adaptors, or who
know their hardware really well.

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Mark Hobley on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:33:38 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> The adaptors should all be capable of running using open source
> (preferably kernel.org team provided drivers), and should use inbuilt
> firmware, rather than requiring swirmware images to be uploaded from the
> host.
>
> Does anyone know any models for any of the following device types that
> meet this requirement?

> I would like a bluetooth adaptor to enable me to transfer data
> from my mobile phone.

Would an Extra Value Bluetooth 2.1 EDR Class 2 Nano Adaptor meet my
requirements here?

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Mark Hobley on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 17:33:10 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:
> Would an Extra Value Bluetooth 2.1 EDR Class 2 Nano Adaptor meet my
> requirements here?

Or what about an LM Technologies Bluetooth 2.0 EDR Class 2 USB Adapter?

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Mark Hobley on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 04:58:33 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> Or what about an LM Technologies Bluetooth 2.0 EDR Class 2 USB Adapter?

The LM Technologies adaptor uses a Broadcom based chipset, so presumably
will require swirmware to operate.

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature