From: neil on
I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB
printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section
written some time ago.

Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has
been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked
under linux.
thanks
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
On 06/24/2010 16:43, neil wrote:
> I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB
> printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section
> written some time ago.

In general, usb printers work fine under FreeBSD, as long as there are a
open source driver for the printer.
Note: binary-only Linux drivers does NOT work in FreeBSD.

> Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has
> been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked
> under linux.

Don't know this one. In general, openprinting.org is the place to check
for any signs of trouble.
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Warren Block on
neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that USB
> printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section
> written some time ago.
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050 has
> been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked
> under linux.

openprinting.org says Gutenprint supports it. Is it "host-based"? If
not, it should be a lot easier to get printing.

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf

From: neil on
Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
> neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>> I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that
> > USB
>> printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section
> >
>> written some time ago.
>>
>> Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050
> > has
>> been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked
>> under linux.
>
> openprinting.org says Gutenprint supports it. Is it "host-based"? If
>
> not, it should be a lot easier to get printing.
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf

This does not work. All I get is lp unkown printer when I try to test
print.
From: Warren Block on
neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock(a)wonkity.com> wrote:
>> neil <invalid(a)invalid.net> wrote:
>>> I read the handbook section on printing and it seems to suggest that
>> > USB
>>> printers are not well supported - but i think this might be a section
>> >
>>> written some time ago.
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me any pointers on whether the EPSON Stylus DX4050
>> > has
>>> been made to work under freebsd? It is a USB printer that had worked
>>> under linux.
>>
>> openprinting.org says Gutenprint supports it. Is it "host-based"? If
>>
>> not, it should be a lot easier to get printing.
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf
>
> This does not work. All I get is lp unkown printer when I try to test
> print.

Show your printcap. If you're the same person on the forums with this
printer, it would be easier to keep track of responses if we could stick
to just one location.