From: dorayme on
On my Snow-Latest Macbook I made a backup via SuperDuper. The
backup is an external, very familiarly standard formatted, and
connected by USB. Shows up fine in the file directory (eg. in
Column view). It can be mounted and ejected.

But I thought I might test it for startup performance and brought
up the Startup Disk from Sys Prefs to choose it and to restart.
There are other ways I can go, but it puzzled me that it was not
there: there was the internal HD and 'Network Startup'.

I think some machines cannot start from USB but thought the
Macbook (bought at the very end of last year new from Apple)
could?

(I have not tried yet to use it to restore anything, I need to
trust it first.)

--
dorayme
From: nospam on
In article <dorayme-EB9146.17271406072010(a)news.albasani.net>, dorayme
<dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> But I thought I might test it for startup performance and brought
> up the Startup Disk from Sys Prefs to choose it and to restart.
> There are other ways I can go, but it puzzled me that it was not
> there: there was the internal HD and 'Network Startup'.

try holding down the option key at boot and see if it shows up.

> I think some machines cannot start from USB but thought the
> Macbook (bought at the very end of last year new from Apple)
> could?

all intel macs can boot from usb.
From: dorayme on
In article <060720100031236844%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <dorayme-EB9146.17271406072010(a)news.albasani.net>, dorayme
> <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > But I thought I might test it for startup performance and brought
> > up the Startup Disk from Sys Prefs to choose it and to restart.
> > There are other ways I can go, but it puzzled me that it was not
> > there: there was the internal HD and 'Network Startup'.
>
> try holding down the option key at boot and see if it shows up.

Yes, this works fine, the USB drive even shows up in Sys Prefs
when the machine starts *from the USB* drive. Wonder why the
thing did not show up when started from the regular internal
drive (even after a complete restart from internal to internal
with USB connected and powered on still)?

Anyway, thanks, I was confident this would work and it did and
the USB, btw, while slower, was not as slow as I expected it to
be when running the OS. So all is good. SuperDuper reigns supreme.

> > I think some machines cannot start from USB but thought the
> > Macbook (bought at the very end of last year new from Apple)
> > could?
>
> all intel macs can boot from usb.

Yes, right, thanks.

--
dorayme
From: David Empson on
dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> In article <060720100031236844%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <dorayme-EB9146.17271406072010(a)news.albasani.net>, dorayme
> > <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > But I thought I might test it for startup performance and brought
> > > up the Startup Disk from Sys Prefs to choose it and to restart.
> > > There are other ways I can go, but it puzzled me that it was not
> > > there: there was the internal HD and 'Network Startup'.
> >
> > try holding down the option key at boot and see if it shows up.
> >

> Yes, this works fine, the USB drive even shows up in Sys Prefs
> when the machine starts *from the USB* drive. Wonder why the
> thing did not show up when started from the regular internal
> drive (even after a complete restart from internal to internal
> with USB connected and powered on still)?
>
> Anyway, thanks, I was confident this would work and it did and
> the USB, btw, while slower, was not as slow as I expected it to
> be when running the OS. So all is good. SuperDuper reigns supreme.

The problem is likely to be the partition map scheme used on the drive.
The computer may be able to boot from that partition map scheme, but
System Preferences may not let you select it as the configured startup
disk if it is not the expected scheme.

For an Intel Mac, the partition map scheme should be "GUID Partition
Table". (Intel Macs to date can also boot from Apple Partition Map, but
there are some limitations such as not being able to install firmware
updates, and the Mac OS X installer won't let you install it on a drive
with this scheme using an Intel Mac. At some point, future models are
likely to drop support for booting from Apple Partition Map.)

For a PowerPC Mac, the partition map scheme must be "Apple Partition
Map". (Last generation PowerMac G5s can also boot from GUID Partition
Table, but this is not documented or officially supported by Apple.)

The third possible partition map scheme is "Master Boot Record", which
is the one normally used on Windows. PowerPC Macs can't boot from that,
and Intel Macs might not be able to either.

You can check which partition map scheme is used on your drive by
running Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities, or under the Utilities
menu while booted from the Mac OS X Install DVD), and clicking on the
icon for the drive in the left column (the one up against the left
margin, which represents the entire drive). The information area at the
bottom of the window shows "Partition Map Scheme".

Changing the scheme requires wiping the drive, and is done via the
Partition tab. You have to select the desired number of partitions (NOT
"Current"), may want to tweak the sizes and names, then click the
Options button, pick the desired partition map scheme, click OK, then
click the Apply button to proceed.

(You can't change the partition map scheme on your startup drive - boot
from something else.)

Again, note that changing the partition map scheme will wipe everything
on the drive (all partitions, if you have several), so make sure you
have backups (on a different hard drive!) if there is anything you want
to keep.

If you have multiple hard drives, also be very careful that you have
picked the correct drive to repartition.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: dorayme on
In article <1jl89rm.1fo7qqz1icvuu6N%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:

> > > In article <dorayme-EB9146.17271406072010(a)news.albasani.net>, dorayme
> > > <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > >
> > Wonder why the
> > thing did not show up when started from the regular internal
> > drive (even after a complete restart from internal to internal
> > with USB connected and powered on still)?
> >

> The computer may be able to boot from that partition map scheme, but
> System Preferences may not let you select it as the configured startup
> disk if it is not the expected scheme.
>
> For an Intel Mac, the partition map scheme should be "GUID Partition
> Table". (Intel Macs to date can also boot from Apple Partition Map, but
> there are some limitations such as not being able to install firmware
> updates, and the Mac OS X installer won't let you install it on a drive
> with this scheme using an Intel Mac. At some point, future models are
> likely to drop support for booting from Apple Partition Map.)

Ah, *thanks*, yes, that is likely it! I was not watching that
when I bought the thing (from a general computer store, it was
'Master Boot Record' btw) and partitioned it at the time.

I repartitioned it just now and made sure to set the map right. I
am backing up the Macbook internal to one of the partitions right
now so you will only hear from me if it fails to show up as a
possible start up in Disk Utility.

It is nice when there is a reason for something! Does this mean
there is or there is not a god? <g>

--
dorayme
 |  Next  |  Last