From: happytoday on
Dear all,
Solaris 8 can not detect USB hard drives. What patches or How can I
make it detect USB devices ?
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
happytoday wrote:
> Dear all,
> Solaris 8 can not detect USB hard drives. What patches or How can I
> make it detect USB devices ?

Upgrade to Solaris 10??

Seriously, asking a ten, or so, year old O/S to support the latest
fashions is not reasonable! Either write your own driver(s) or upgrade!

If you can write such a driver and make it work, you can probably get a
job just about anywhere!
From: Doug McIntyre on
happytoday <ehabaziz2001(a)gmail.com> writes:
>Solaris 8 can not detect USB hard drives. What patches or How can I
>make it detect USB devices ?

http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/usb/USB-Faq.html

Sol8 USB hard drive support even after patching with the USB framework
is still kinda hit and miss.

Upgrade to Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris for best results.

From: happytoday on
On Apr 29, 11:34 pm, Doug McIntyre <mer...(a)geeks.org> wrote:
> happytoday <ehabaziz2...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> >Solaris 8 can not detect USB hard drives. What patches or How can I
> >make it detect USB devices ?
>
> http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/usb/USB-Faq.html
>
> Sol8 USB hard drive support even after patching with the USB framework
> is still kinda hit and miss.
>
> Upgrade to Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris for best results.

Workstation with Solaris 8 is not upgradeable because Solaris 8 is a
layer with another software .
Thanks
From: Chris Cox on
On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 16:07 -0400, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> happytoday wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > Solaris 8 can not detect USB hard drives. What patches or How can I
> > make it detect USB devices ?
>
> Upgrade to Solaris 10??
>
> Seriously, asking a ten, or so, year old O/S to support the latest
> fashions is not reasonable! Either write your own driver(s) or upgrade!

:-) Of course Sun was forced (coerced) into supporting the thing until
2012.

> If you can write such a driver and make it work, you can probably get a
> job just about anywhere!

True...

I wouldn't upgrade to Solaris 10. I mean, 10 is already 5 years old
now.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra
push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the
top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.