From: Tim Cole on
I am tearing my hair out trying to get my system to recognize the Panasonic
MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can transcribe the
contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. The software provided by Panasonic and
the software I've downloaded refuse to recognize it. WinXP, with all its
latest bells and whistles, just keeps saying "unknown usb device."
Panasonic keeps saying that it should work and charged me $22 for a cd of
the software which didn't work!
One good thing came out of all this -- I upgraded my motherboard bios and
smoothed over a few other developing problems with usb 2.0.
Does anyone have any ideas to offer?

From: DJ Borell on
"Tim Cole" <timcole(a)colescorner.com> wrote in message
>I am tearing my hair out trying to get my system to recognize the Panasonic
>MiniDV PalmCorder PV-DV102D over a USB hookup so I can transcribe the
>contents of a dv tape onto a dvd. The software provided by Panasonic and
>the software I've downloaded refuse to recognize it. WinXP, with all its
>latest bells and whistles, just keeps saying "unknown usb device."

If you've already updated your BIOS, try checking that you've got the latest
chipset drivers for your motherboard. These should be available at your MB
manufacturer's website.

From: zibby on

Get few things straight up.
On every DV camcorders you use FIREWIRE port to transfer video/audio between
computer and camera.
USB port is used for digital camera built in (still pictures) that are saved
on memory stick, flash card or whatever you camcorder supports.

So if you connect DV camcorder over USB it will/should show up as another
drive and let you access stored pictures.

If you connect camcorder via FireWire port, system should recognize it but
it will not map new drive letter. You need third party software to "capture"
content recorded on DV tape.
Windows XP has built in simple video editing software called MovieMaker.
It's a good start.

As USB connection, you probably had installed some USB drives that are
causing problem.
Recheck all drivers and any other software that's used for any USB hardware
you have.

From: RG on

zibby wrote:
> Get few things straight up.
> On every DV camcorders you use FIREWIRE port to transfer video/audio
between
> computer and camera.
> USB port is used for digital camera built in (still pictures) that
are saved
> on memory stick, flash card or whatever you camcorder supports.

That may be true for newer models but I have a Panasonic PV-DV 201 and
it's USB only, even for video. There is no included firewire cable,
nor is there any mention of the word firewire in its manual. The
drivers included on a CD are for USB.

I'm having a similar problem to the original poster. The camera works
fine on an old and very slow PC, but I'm not having any luck installing
printer driver on a brand new PC.

Did the original poster ever solve his problems? If so I'd like to
know about it.

RG

From: Tim Cole on
Sorry I left all of you hanging...
The dv camera I was using does have a firewire port. With the purchase of a
firewire card and cable I was able to download the contents to my
harddrive -- worked beautifully! I do not have the camera in my possession
right now -- it belongs to a dance studio; otherwise, I'd try to get the usb
to work. Like you said, not everything has firewire (my dvd-camera only has
usb, but I have no problem with usb recognizing it. Not only that, but I
can take the mini-dvd out and put it in my dvd-rom and copy files that way.
Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.