From: Folderol on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:59:51 +0100
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:55:03 +0100
> alexd <troffasky(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol
> > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
> >
> > > interestingly on my 'good' machine it also returned:
> > > usbcore 125284 4 usb_storage,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
> > >
> > > so I did some more investigation.
> > >
> > > 'modprobe usbcore' returned:
> > > FATAL: Module usbcore not found
> > >
> > > but 'cat /var/log/syslog | grep usb' identifies it as being present ???
> >
> > Presumably on that machine it's compiled in, not a module.
>
> Hmmm. Didn't think of that!
> Buggritt - thought I was on to something :(

I had the bright idea of trying live distros:

fedora 11 didn't see USB1 stuff, but didn't hang lsusb either

musix 2 saw most usb1 stuff - couldn't see midisport, but that might
just be due to not having all the firmware in place.

Looks more and more like a software/drivers issue. Any suggestions?

--
Will J G