From: Folderol on
I've made a minimum install of debian squeeze (un-select both 'desktop'
and 'standard') then built it up with apt-get to pull in X,
openbox, rox-filer and associated files.

The system works very well in every respect except usb. hal & pmount are
installed, and so is usb-utils. No usb devices are recognised at all.

With nothing plugged in, lsusb returns the internal usb 1 & 2 hubs, but
if I plug any device in at all, and try lsusb again it hangs. looking
at a process monitor shows it as 'uninterruptable' and indeed, trying
to kill it fails. The only way to clear it is with a reboot :(

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

In case it made any difference I tried with kernel versions 2.6.29,
2.6.32, 2.6.33 (the default)

P.S.
I particularly don't want to install any unnecessary parts of gnome or
kde.

--
Will J G
From: Richard Kettlewell on
Folderol <folderol(a)ukfsn.org> writes:

> I've made a minimum install of debian squeeze (un-select both 'desktop'
> and 'standard') then built it up with apt-get to pull in X,
> openbox, rox-filer and associated files.
>
> The system works very well in every respect except usb. hal & pmount are
> installed, and so is usb-utils. No usb devices are recognised at all.
>
> With nothing plugged in, lsusb returns the internal usb 1 & 2 hubs, but
> if I plug any device in at all, and try lsusb again it hangs. looking
> at a process monitor shows it as 'uninterruptable' and indeed, trying
> to kill it fails. The only way to clear it is with a reboot :(
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Could be either a hardware fault or a kernel bug.
See if the output of 'dmesg' or the contents of /var/log/kern.log has
anything interesting.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: Simon J. Rowe on
Folderol wrote:

> I've made a minimum install of debian squeeze (un-select both 'desktop'
> and 'standard') then built it up with apt-get to pull in X,
> openbox, rox-filer and associated files.
>
> The system works very well in every respect except usb. hal & pmount are
> installed, and so is usb-utils. No usb devices are recognised at all.
>
> With nothing plugged in, lsusb returns the internal usb 1 & 2 hubs, but
> if I plug any device in at all, and try lsusb again it hangs. looking
> at a process monitor shows it as 'uninterruptable' and indeed, trying
> to kill it fails. The only way to clear it is with a reboot :(
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?
>
> In case it made any difference I tried with kernel versions 2.6.29,
> 2.6.32, 2.6.33 (the default)

The critical things to determine is what sort of controllers are we talking
about, which modules are loaded and has the kernel noticed anything.

So, what does lspci say about USB controllers, what does lsmod say about
*hci modules and is there anything of interest in dmesg?

Simon

From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Folderol
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> With nothing plugged in, lsusb returns the internal usb 1 & 2 hubs, but
> if I plug any device in at all, and try lsusb again it hangs. looking
> at a process monitor shows it as 'uninterruptable' and indeed, trying
> to kill it fails. The only way to clear it is with a reboot :(

lsmod | grep hcd should list modules ending in hci-hcd. Try removing those
one at a time and see if it starts working.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:57:40 up 4 days, 10:58, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.09