From: Mihai N. on
> Is the BMP *precisely* the set which can be represented by a single word
> in UTF-16 (ie without surrogates)?
Yes.

> I am interested in Musical symbols - code points 1D100-1D1FF - which are
> clearly outside this range.
>
> But three useful ones are at 266D, 266E, 266F (flat, natural, sharp) - do
> you reckon it should work for those?
Yes.
But you can go for ScriptGetCMap, works for anything.

> I don't know when unicode fonts with 1D100-1D1FF will become commonplace,
I doubt they will become commonplace.
You will probably need specialized fonts. Same as you need separate Chinese
Traditional, Simplified, Japanese fonts.

> one would have to know where the origin of the symbol
> is, in order to place it correctly with music. Do you know if there is a
> standard for this?
No clue :-(
But in general the font designed takes care that all the glyphs in the font
work nice together. It is a problem if you start mixing fonts.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Windows - SDK]
http://www.mihai-nita.net
From: Mihai N. on
> That is plenty good enough for the time being. It will
> probably be a long time before I support any glyphs above
> the BMP.
If you want to sell in China you have to do it now.

From: Peter Olcott on

"Mihai N." <nmihai_year_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> That is plenty good enough for the time being. It will
>> probably be a long time before I support any glyphs above
>> the BMP.
> If you want to sell in China you have to do it now.

The memory requirements of my system can increase
exponentially with the number of character glyphs,
supporting Asian glyphs might not be feasible very soon. If
very few of these glyphs overlap each other, then this will
not be a problem. My system must explicitly represent every
possible combination of overlapping character glyph.

China apparently has passed a law making stealing software
legal thus making them the lowest priority on my target
market.