From: Gilles on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:28:57 +0200, Gilles <gilles.ganault(a)free.fr>
wrote:
>Here's the smb.conf I wrote:

Also tried this, running "restart smbd" after each addition, to no
avail:
===========
# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server %v
guest account = nobody
dns proxy = no

wins support = yes
remote announce = 192.168.0.255
security = user

[share]
comment = Ubuntu File Server Share
path = /srv/samba
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes ;access will be permitted as the default guest user
read only = no
create mask = 0755
===========

I don't have a firewall installed, and can succesfully connect to the
server through SSH and HTTP. Could it be some other security issue?

FWIW, I originally didn't run "smbpasswd -a nobody", but running it
makes no difference.

BTW, how can I check that Samba does use /etc/samba/smb.conf as its
configuration file?

Thank you.

On 07/28/2010 07:28 AM, Gilles wrote:
> I waited 15mn in case it was due to some browsing issue, but the
> directory I shared on a Ubuntu server still doesn't show up in the XP
> Net'hood, with no error when starting smbd or in
> /var/log/samba/log.smbd.

Are you expecting it to appear in the "My Network Places" list? Windows
has an eccentric, unpredictable "schedule" for adding items there.

Go to Start, Run, and enter

\\name-of-server\share

then hit OK. Of course, you should substitute the actual name of the
server. If it opens a window (with whatever is in /srv/samba visible in
it), you're good.

If that doesn't work, try

\\name-of-server

and let us know what you see.

-- Chris.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:42:34 -0500, Chris Gonnerman
<chris(a)newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:
>Go to Start, Run, and enter
>
>\\name-of-server\share
>
>then hit OK. Of course, you should substitute the actual name of the
>server. If it opens a window (with whatever is in /srv/samba visible in
>it), you're good.
>
>If that doesn't work, try
>
>\\name-of-server
>
>and let us know what you see.

Thanks Chris. Both return "The network path was not found."

Fact is, XP can't PING "ubuntu" and "C:\>net view" doesn't list the
Ubuntu host, although Samba is running WINS:

===========
# cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server %v
guest account = nobody
dns proxy = no

netbios name = UBUNTU
wins support = yes
remote announce = 192.168.0.255
security = user
;encrypt passwords = yes
;smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

[share]
comment = Ubuntu File Server Share
path = /srv/samba
browsable = yes
guest ok = yes ;access will be permitted as the default guest user
read only = no
create mask = 0755
===========

Am I correct in understanding that as long as ...
1. /etc/passd contains "nobody", /etc/group contains "nogroup"
2. /srv/samba/ is owned by nobody.nogroup

.... the above smb.conf should display this share in Network
Neighborhood and let any user read/write to the directory by using
nobody.nogroup as user?

How does a Samba host advertise its NetBIOS name to the LAN?

Thank you.

Gilles ha scritto:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:42:34 -0500, Chris Gonnerman
> <chris(a)newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:
>> Go to Start, Run, and enter
>>
>> \\name-of-server\share
>>
>> then hit OK. Of course, you should substitute the actual name of the
>> server. If it opens a window (with whatever is in /srv/samba visible in
>> it), you're good.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, try
>>
>> \\name-of-server
>>
>> and let us know what you see.
>
> Thanks Chris. Both return "The network path was not found."
>
> Fact is, XP can't PING "ubuntu" and "C:\>net view" doesn't list the

Try pinging the ubuntu server via ip address. If that works, then try to
connect to the share by using the ip address instead of the hostname, e.g.:

\\ip-addr-of-server\share

If the ping from xp to the ubuntu server doesn't work either way (by
specifying the server hosntname or its ip address) then I think you
should check your network before struggling with samba config.

Just my 2 cents, HTH.

--
Marcello Romani
Gilles Ganault ha scritto:
> At 15:16 28/07/2010, you wrote:
>> Try pinging the ubuntu server via ip address. If that works, then try
>> to connect to the share by using the ip address instead of the
>> hostname, e.g.:
>>
>> \\ip-addr-of-server\share
>
> Thanks for the help. I can connect through its IP address (I could
> already work with SSH and HTTP), but it doesn't work with the NetBIOS name:
>
> "\\ubuntu\share - The network path was not found."
>
> If you know Ubuntu 10.04, could there be some security that prevents
> Samba from working?

My servers are pure debian, so no I don't know of Ubuntu specific tweaks.
I'd try to enable wins in samba and raise its os level (though it should
already be higher than xp), but it could also be that xp refuses to
revert to netbios name resolution (i.e. broadcast). I've seen this
behaviour once, but can't remember right now what it was exactly...

HTH

P.S.: try to respond to the list, or you'll lose potential help :)

--
Marcello Romani