From: John Taylor on

Just trying out Ubuntu 10.4

Looks really pretty - shame that they still haven't got network manager
to work!

I really was hoping that they would fix it this time :-(

Has any one managed to connect to a network with manual settings ?

If I use Network Manager to set it to manual, and enter the details, the
connection vanishes - network manager shows it as offline, and ifup says
that eth0 doesn't exist !

If I enter it all by hand in /etc/network/interfaces, ifup now works, and
ifconfig -a shows it up, I can ping other machines, but firefox still
says it is working offline.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
JohnT

From: Tauno Voipio on
On 30.4.10 5:01 , John Taylor wrote:

> Just trying out Ubuntu 10.4
>
> Looks really pretty - shame that they still haven't got network manager
> to work!
>
> I really was hoping that they would fix it this time :-(
>
> Has any one managed to connect to a network with manual settings ?
>
> If I use Network Manager to set it to manual, and enter the details, the
> connection vanishes - network manager shows it as offline, and ifup says
> that eth0 doesn't exist !
>
> If I enter it all by hand in /etc/network/interfaces, ifup now works, and
> ifconfig -a shows it up, I can ping other machines, but firefox still
> says it is working offline.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
> JohnT

Did you tell Firefox to go online after the network is ping-up?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

From: philo on
On 04/30/2010 09:01 AM, John Taylor wrote:

> Just trying out Ubuntu 10.4
>
> Looks really pretty - shame that they still haven't got network manager
> to work!
>
> I really was hoping that they would fix it this time :-(
>
> Has any one managed to connect to a network with manual settings ?
>
> If I use Network Manager to set it to manual, and enter the details, the
> connection vanishes - network manager shows it as offline, and ifup says
> that eth0 doesn't exist !
>
> If I enter it all by hand in /etc/network/interfaces, ifup now works, and
> ifconfig -a shows it up, I can ping other machines, but firefox still
> says it is working offline.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
> JohnT

Nothing to do
it just worked by default

are you using a supported net card?
From: Bob Martin on
in 47790 20100430 150110 John Taylor <john(a)jt.response.invalid> wrote:
>Just trying out Ubuntu 10.4
>
>Looks really pretty - shame that they still haven't got network manager
>to work!
>
>I really was hoping that they would fix it this time :-(
>
>Has any one managed to connect to a network with manual settings ?
>
>If I use Network Manager to set it to manual, and enter the details, the
>connection vanishes - network manager shows it as offline, and ifup says
>that eth0 doesn't exist !
>
>If I enter it all by hand in /etc/network/interfaces, ifup now works, and
>ifconfig -a shows it up, I can ping other machines, but firefox still
>says it is working offline.

Did you remember to set resolv.conf

You need
nameserver w.x.y.z
(usually address of your router / gateway etc)
From: John Taylor on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 06:53:53 +0000, Bob Martin wrote:

> Did you remember to set resolv.conf
>
> You need
> nameserver w.x.y.z
> (usually address of your router / gateway etc)

Doing /etc/init.d/networking restart got it working.

However, it is still very irritating that network manager still has very
basic bugs.

I've tried this on two different machines, and same results:
Manual configuration of IP address etc. just doesn't work.
Network Manager just gets in the way - it used to be easier without it.

JohnT