From: Gangnath on
I am unable to update my Gateway Notebook pc from the Microsoft Update page.

I get the message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display
the page you are trying to view." And the error code is 0x80096004

The Windows Update log states: FATAL: IsUpdateRequired failed with error
0x80096004.

I can't seem to find reference to this message anywhere. Please help!!

--
Hal
From: PA Bear on
Windows version? IE version?

See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/eb20a59d289a04ed/e92cc6d81036d9fc
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

From: Gangnath on
IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service pack 2
--
Hal

From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"Gangnath" <Gangnath(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am unable to update my Gateway Notebook pc from the Microsoft Update page.
>
> I get the message "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display
> the page you are trying to view." And the error code is 0x80096004
>
> The Windows Update log states: FATAL: IsUpdateRequired failed with error
> 0x80096004.
>

> I can't seem to find reference to this message anywhere.

Try a web search?

(Live Search for
0x80096004 microsoft codes
)

<quote>
TRUST_E_CERT_SIGNATURE 0x80096004 The signature of the certificate cannot be verified.
</quote>

Then let's try another web search...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

(Live Search for
certificate "windows update" site:support.microsoft.com
)

Also, is your computer's date and time correct?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929458

(Live Search for
"date and time" certificate "windows update" site:support.microsoft.com
)

(Article refers to a related symptom with a different code
but perhaps you could get your code for the same reason?)

Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Gangnath on
Thanks, Robert.

It is maddening that the only instance of the error message I get that I can
find searching the MS website is when they tell developers to use that code.
There is no mention of how to fix the error, or what it really is.

I also had started down the list of fixes you found. I guess I should feel
somewhat satisfied that I haven't missed anything obvious. I think that the
last link referred to Vista, not XP Home edition, so I hadn't looked at it
yet.

I'll let you know what I find when I find it. Any other suggestions would
be great.
--
Hal