From: Edward Diener on
Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> It is probably authentication (PW) problem.
> Log to the Wireless Router with a cable, and disable the security. Make
> sure that you can connect to it when it is open.

This was the first thing I tried and I still could not connect to the
router wirelessly. What gets me is that Winodws XP gives absolutely no
indication of why the connection failed. I'm a programmer and I think it
is very poor giving no end-user feedback in that situation.

> When it works OK, switch On the security enter a new pass phrase copy
> the pass phrase to the Copy buffer and then paste to the computer's
> password box.
> Make sure that the level of the security that you use is compatible with
> Win XP.

I do not know how it can be determined what level of security is
compatible with Windows XP. How can I determine that ? I keep up to date
with the latest updates through Windows Update so I should always be up
to date on my laptop.

> In General.
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed
> even if it is Off)
> MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number
> can be easily Spoofed).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Break" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> -------------------
> The three above are Not considered safe.
> Safe Starts here at WPA.
> -------------------
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would
> have to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and
> Wireless Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is
> available with your Wireless hardware.

On the router I am using WPA-Personal, with a WPA mode set to Auto (WPA
or WPA2) and Cipher type of TKIP and AES.

> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
> possible of one of the Wireless devices.

Right now the only wireless device is the laptop, although I bought
wireless USB for both my desktops which are currently wired to the
router. Since my laptop has connected to other routers wirelessly, I
wanted to solve my laptops connection to the router before I start
playing around with connecting either of my desktops to the router
wirelessly.

> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to
> the max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to
> max . of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.

I understand this principle. I am not sure how to determine what the
laptop supports other than specifying what I did in my OP which is that
the laptop supports 802.11b and 802.11g.

> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network,
> replace the device with a better one.

Of course.

> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks for the info and links. Since I tried connecting with all
security turned off and could not do so, I don't think it can be a
security problem. I wish I knew what it was, though, as my router has
many settings I can try manipulating but I don't know what the magic
combo is to get it working. Of course I can eventually try talking to
the D-Link support people but that is always a major trial nowadays.

From: Edward Diener on
nospamykcid2(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Try this, Log on to your Router and set up the built-in Wireless
> function. So with your laptop wired to the router try the following. Using
> your web browser, input 192.168.1.1 as the routers address. Then use admin
> as User Name and for Password, try password1. Hopefully this will give
> you access
> to your Router's software and the set-up for the wireless functions.
> Otherwise
> contact your Internet Service provider for instructions accessing your
> Router setup .

I can get into my router's configuration simply by using a wired
connection from my laptop or from either of my two desktops so that is
no problem. My router's wireless functionality is fully setup and I have
tried to connect to it wirelessly from my laptop where there is no
security and where the security is WPA-personal and both times have failed.

My problem is not getting into my router's configuration and setting it
up for a wireless connection.

Thanks for your help, nonetheless.
From: Edward Diener on
Frankster wrote:
>>> Log to the Wireless Router with a cable, and disable the security.
>>> Make sure that you can connect to it when it is open.
>>
>> This was the first thing I tried and I still could not connect to the
>> router wirelessly. What gets me is that Winodws XP gives absolutely no
>> indication of why the connection failed.
>
> In that case... go into your XP wireless config and DELETE your router
> (of previous failed attempts). Then, retry. It should work.

I tried that. Subsequently the Wireless Network Connection finds it
again as a network within range. I clikc on my network, click
Connect..., enter the netwrok key, the long connecting dialog comes up
again, and it fails to connect again with no message.

> Your
> previous failed attempts are causing the saved profile to pass the wrong
> passcode and therefore you cannot connect. Deleting the saved profile
> and starting over should fix it.

Unfortunately it still does not work.

> As far as Windows not providing the proper feedback of a failed
> passcode, you are right. It doesn't.

Boo ! <g>.

Thanks for your suggestions.
From: Edward Diener on
Edward Diener wrote:
> I am trying to connect my laptop via a wireless connection to my D-Link
> DIR-655 router.
> The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D which as an Integrated
> Atheros 802.11b/g wireless LAN.
> I am running Windows XP on my laptop.
>
> Under Windows XP on my laptop it finds my wireless network by its name
> of 'MyWirelessNet' and I click on the entry and then on the Connect
> button. It prompts me for my network key and I type in 'Y2YT5689OPEE'. I
> then type this in again in the Confirm area also. It then attempts to
> connect, taking a very long time to do so with a message box and a
> message "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'MyWirelessNet'
> network" and another message below it which says "Waiting for the
> network...". Finally the Wireless Network Connection message box closes
> but the connection has not been made. No error message shows anything.
>
> Ideas, thoughts, solutions, experiences, or things I might try to get my
> laptop to connect wirelessly to the DIR-655 are most welcome.
>
> If I run a wired network cable from my laptop to the DIR-655 everything
> is successful. But naturally I want to connect wirelessly so I can move
> my laptop around. Isn't that what laptops are all about ?
>
> I am also successful connecting my laptop wirelessly to other wireless
> networks. But not to my DIR-655 router.

To everyone who replied helping me out with this problem, I want to say
thanks. By changing my router's setting from mixed mode 802.11b /
802.11g / 802.11n to mixed mode 802.11b / 802.11g the connection was
finally made. My laptop supports only 802.11b / 802.11g so I guess
setting my router to support all three caused the problem ( although as
a programmer I don't think it should ).