From: JohnnyForum on
I am trying to download the window ie version of the authorware web player 2004
from the adobe site.

I have removed the plugin using ie7 and then removed the run time files
completely as outlined in adobe technote.

Everytime I download by using the "install now" button from the website I
receive a script error then the yellow bar appears asking if I want to install
the activeX. I click to install it, it waits then brings up the other dialog
box asking if I want to install the activeX control. I click to go ahead and
install it.

Then the control on the webpage brings up the intializing bar and then
files which I list below, and then the loading bar turn pink with an error.

This only happens on the two win 2003 machines I am using, it will download
fine on the XP machines.

These are the two files it shows the error on. I have tried taking these files
from the xp machine and putting on the servers but this does not fix the issue.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/authorware/authorware_player/webplr08/win/xtr
as/awmp3.x32

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/authorware/authorware_player/webplr08/win/a7w
mp3.xmo

After this is all done the little video shows up and says it is installed, but
if I navigate to the same page on the servers that I do on the xp machine, all
I see is a box with an initializing bar.

:confused;
Anybody that can offer any help I would really appreciate it.

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
From your description it appears that the control is downloaded and
installed. Without it you would not see the progress bar. The difficulty
appears to be with the sample application that is supposed to show proving
you have the control installed. Ignore what you see there and navigate
instead to the file that prompted you to get the player.
Another possibility is that they changed the site from
download.macromedia.com to something on the adobe domain which is not
recognized by the player. So you can edit your awshkwv.ini file in your user
profile (documents and settings/user/application data/macromedia/Authorware
Web Player [typing from memory, I might be off]) Find awshkwv.ini and add
*.adobe.com/ to the list of trusted sites.
Finally, a security setting on the machine may be preventing the user from
creating new files or folders in their own profile. Is this a network
environment with security to prevent things like this?

Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker(a)cox.net

From: pswanson on
Those files should be downloaded to the workstation, not the server. The
awmp3.x32 file should end up in the "Documents and
Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Authorware Web
Player\NP32ASW\webplr08\xtras" folder, and the a7wmp3.xmo should go in
"Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Authorware Web
Player\NP32ASW\webplr08" folder.

I just tried the download on Windows XP with IE7, and had no problems. Make
sure you have Administrator-level Rights on the destination workstation during
the installation.

From: JohnnyForum on
The ocx and dll download to their proper place and are visible from within IE7
plugins area. When it shows the progress bar to download the runtime files to
their location thats when I get the error about the two files. It downloads the
rest of the files just fine but hangs on those two files.

If I install it from the same place on an xp machine it works fine. It is just
on the win 2003 machines, it does not fully install.

I am logged in under the admin account with full privileges.

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
When you go to the file where your lesson is set up for viewing can you load
and view the lesson? It looks like the adobe server is having trouble with
just a couple of the xtras and you may not actually need them. If you like
you can search for "ptrace.txt" in this forum and find instructions for
using the internal player debug utility.

Mike
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker(a)cox.net