From: Ant on
I have a Nokia E51 with an Orange 3G PAYG SIM. Normally I have the network
mode set to "dual mode" so that it will use 3G whenever it's available and
drop back to 2G when it isn't (which is hardly ever).

Until recently it has all been working fine, but now I can't receive calls
any more if I use 3G. If someone calls me, they get put through to
voicemail immediately and my phone doesn't ring, even though I have full
signal strength. If I set the phone to GSM mode so that it doesn't use 3G,
then calls come through as normal. I can make outgoing calls whether the
phone is using 3G or not.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a network issue or a problem with
my phone? Orange customer services seem baffled at the moment.

From: Steve Terry on
"Ant" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have a Nokia E51 with an Orange 3G PAYG SIM. Normally I have the network
>mode set to "dual mode" so that it will use 3G whenever it's available and
>drop back to 2G when it isn't (which is hardly ever).
>
> Until recently it has all been working fine, but now I can't receive calls
> any more if I use 3G. If someone calls me, they get put through to
> voicemail immediately and my phone doesn't ring, even though I have full
> signal strength. If I set the phone to GSM mode so that it doesn't use
> 3G, then calls come through as normal. I can make outgoing calls whether
> the phone is using 3G or not.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a network issue or a problem with
> my phone? Orange customer services seem baffled at the moment.

Try the sim in another 3g phone to discount that it's a phone fault

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Steve Hayes on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:56:26 +0100, Ant wrote:

> I have a Nokia E51 with an Orange 3G PAYG SIM. Normally I have the
> network mode set to "dual mode" so that it will use 3G whenever it's
> available and drop back to 2G when it isn't (which is hardly ever).
>
> Until recently it has all been working fine, but now I can't receive
> calls any more if I use 3G. If someone calls me, they get put through
> to voicemail immediately and my phone doesn't ring, even though I have
> full signal strength. If I set the phone to GSM mode so that it doesn't
> use 3G, then calls come through as normal. I can make outgoing calls
> whether the phone is using 3G or not.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a network issue or a problem
> with my phone? Orange customer services seem baffled at the moment.

Have you tried switching the phone off and removing the battery for a few
minutes? That (or pulling the plug) is something to try with all modern
contraptions when they go strange and I've had to resort to it a few
times with my phone (and digiboxes and blah blah blah).

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address
From: Ant on

"Steve Hayes" <steve(a)red.honeylink.blue.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:56:26 +0100, Ant wrote:
>
> Have you tried switching the phone off and removing the battery for a few
> minutes? That (or pulling the plug) is something to try with all modern
> contraptions when they go strange and I've had to resort to it a few
> times with my phone (and digiboxes and blah blah blah).

I've tried that a few times and funnily enough it sometimes gets it working
again, but only for a minute or two. The same occurs if I try to manually
select a different network on the phone (so it temporarily loses and regains
it's connection to the Orange network).

I've now discovered that the problem only seems to occur when I'm at home.
At work today I could receive calls on 3G no problem. Now that I'm back
home I can no longer receive calls on 3G, but still can on 2G. A local
network/cell problem maybe?