From: Paul on
Two computer network, one is XP Home, other is Win2K Pro. The network
operates as expected except that, on the XP machine when I right click any
folder and go to Sharing and Security, the "Share this folder on the
network" box is grayed out. I used the Network Setup Wizard to set up the XP
machine and enabled file and printer sharing.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Paul.

From: Brian A. on
How does " The network operates as expected" if folders/files cannot be
shared? How is the network setup and how are the machines connected?

If in Sharing and Security..." > Sharing tab the "Share this folder" is
not available, then the machine is not setup properly for the network or
protocols/components are not installed.

Right click "My Network Places" on the desktop. Is a network (local area
connection) present? If so, what shows for the Status.
Double click the LAC. Does all look proper/fit under the Support tab? You
could try the Repair button to see if it helps.

Under the General tab click the Properties button. Look at each
component/protocol to make sure they are configured properly. You should
at the least have present: Client For MS Networks, File and Print Sharing
for MS Networks and TCP/IP.

If you're logged on with a guest account you cannot create any shared
folders.
You cannot share the Documents and Settings, Program Files, Windows Systems
folders or other user profiles.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

From: Paul on
Thanks for your response. I did go through your suggestions. First, the
Guest Account is not in play here; it is turned off. My vague statement
about the network working as expected meant that both computers could
connect to the Internet, both could see each other in "My Network Places",
the XP machine could open shared folders on the Win2K machine, and the Win2K
could see the "Shared Documents" folder and "Printers" folder on the XP
machine. I have two user accounts, both set up as Limited. What I've
discovered is that a User Account must be set up as Administrator (not
Limited) in order to designate folders as "shared". I changed my account to
Administrator, set up some folders for sharing, and I was able to access
these folders across the network with the Win2K machine. When I changed the
account back to Limited, the check mark in the "Share this folder on the
network" box was removed and the box becomes grayed out. Does this sound
correct to you? Maybe I just have to make friends with the "Shared
Documents" folder on the XP machine and start putting everything I want to
share in it.

From: Brian A. on
Just a thought, I'm thinking you have "Simple file sharing" enabled.
In Explorer or MyComputer, on the menu bar click Tools > Folder Options >
View tab.
Scroll to the bottom, uncheck "Simple file sharing" if checked. Apply > Ok
out.

Now if the "Share this folder" is still unavailable you may have to setup
user accounts for the remote machine and set permissions.
See if this helps:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/whole.htm

From: Paul on
Apparently XP Home doesn't offer the option of disabling "Simple File
Sharing". I followed your suggestion and in the Tools>Folder Options> View,
I didn't find "Simple file sharing" in the list. Perhaps in the site you
suggested, practicallynetworked.com or in wiki.ehow.com I'll find an answer.
I may well have to get into setting permissions. Thanks for your time.
Paul.
> Just a thought, I'm thinking you have "Simple file sharing" enabled.
> In Explorer or MyComputer, on the menu bar click Tools > Folder Options >
> View tab.
> Scroll to the bottom, uncheck "Simple file sharing" if checked. Apply > Ok
> out.
>
> Now if the "Share this folder" is still unavailable you may have to setup
> user accounts for the remote machine and set permissions.
> See if this helps:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/whole.htm
>
> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }