From: dab1477 on
Thanks in advance for the assist. My mind went numb...

What must I do to have an unbound field only perform the calculation for the
current open record that I am working in and not show data in a new records
same unbound field when I go to the next record entry?

I have an unbound text box on a form - call it Box C. In it's properties
control source I have a calculation (i.e. =text box A input / text box B
input) that I wish to show within the form prior to moving to the next
record. I then wish this field to recalculate or return null (if box A and/or
B are empty). Box C will calculate correctly, but when I move to the next
record to input data, Box C maintains the previous record's data - but only
within Box C. All other fields are blank and ready to accept new data.
Box C calculates within the new record based upon the prior records data in
Box A and Box B; even when I have not entered any data into the new record.
Please point me in the right direction. Thanks
From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 06:17:01 -0700, dab1477
<dab1477(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

That is not the way an unbound textbox normally behaves. So I have
these questions:
* What is in the ControlSource of this box3?
* What if any VBA code is in this form that may be related?
* Any macros operating on this box3?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: KARL DEWEY on
You need to refresh Box C on change of one of your bound fields.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: KARL DEWEY on
I made the assumption that Box A and Box B were bound to fields in your table.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: dab1477 on
Karl,
You are correct that Box A & B are bound. Would Box C not be refreshed when
I go to the next record? Remember "Box C will calculate correctly, but when I
move to the next record to input data, Box C maintains the previous record's
data - but only within Box C. " I'm in the next record with blank fields but
Box C has the calculation of the prior fields.
I resolved the issue by binding Box C to the table. Now that it is BOUND,
all seems in order. As it was a calculation, I was hesitant to bind to my
table, but I found some usefulness in doing so. Thanks for the input.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> I made the assumption that Box A and Box B were bound to fields in your table.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "KARL DEWEY" wrote:
>
> > You need to refresh Box C on change of one of your bound fields.
> >
> > --
> > Build a little, test a little.
> >

> > "dab1477" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks in advance for the assist. My mind went numb...
> > >
> > > What must I do to have an unbound field only perform the calculation for the
> > > current open record that I am working in and not show data in a new records
> > > same unbound field when I go to the next record entry?
> > >
> > > I have an unbound text box on a form - call it Box C. In it's properties
> > > control source I have a calculation (i.e. =text box A input / text box B
> > > input) that I wish to show within the form prior to moving to the next
> > > record. I then wish this field to recalculate or return null (if box A and/or
> > > B are empty). Box C will calculate correctly, but when I move to the next
> > > record to input data, Box C maintains the previous record's data - but only
> > > within Box C. All other fields are blank and ready to accept new data.
> > > Box C calculates within the new record based upon the prior records data in
> > > Box A and Box B; even when I have not entered any data into the new record.
> > > Please point me in the right direction. Thanks
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Remove CAPS
Next: Populate Textbox