From: ralph on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:41:55 -0400, Nando
<hightech(a)att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote:

>Nobody wrote:
>> Satchmo wrote:
>>> The best of all: using it won't slow down the app on Windows NT/2000/XP,
>>> because it will not load the MSLU unless the app runs on a Win95/98/ME
>>> machine!
>>
>> It will always load the MSLU, which is just a simple wrapper DLL, about 233
>> KB, which is not a big deal, but under NT, there is no need to do ANSI to
>> Unicode conversion, so there is very small overhead in terms of speed when
>> running under NT.
>
>I just realized the following scenario and I'm worried now: what if the
>app uses controls on forms. MSLU will have nothing to with their
>operation right? Are Microsoft's standard controls (Common Controls 6.0
>SP6) Unicode-ready? Can they display Unicode text on forms? And what if
>they make their own internal calls to Unicode functions "W" and "A"
>versions, how would they accomplish the same distinction than MSLU? I'm
>just trying to understand functionality and limitations. I'm quite
>confused now.

And well you should be. <g>

I normally don't respond to "control questions" simply because I use
3rd party libraries, or create my own, so I'm mildly biased against
VB's inherent controls, and you can take what follows with a few
grains of salt. <g>]

In general VB Common Controls are not fully Unicode complaint.
Occasionally in some cases, for some languages (encoding), and a bit
of massage they can serve. It all depends on the control, the
encoding, and what you are doing.

Frankly, if full Internationalization (I18n) is your goal and your
budget can stand it, seek out more compliant controls. There are a
number of products available. Some are full suites, others specific
controls. Some are priced astronomically, some moderate, a few are
freeware.

Most come with additional features that make their price well worth it
even if Uncode wasn't a major requirement.

-ralph
From: Nobody on
"Nando" <hightech(a)att.net.no.to.sp.am> wrote in message
> Nobody wrote:
>> Satchmo wrote:
>>> The best of all: using it won't slow down the app on Windows NT/2000/XP,
>>> because it will not load the MSLU unless the app runs on a Win95/98/ME
>>> machine!
>>
>> It will always load the MSLU, which is just a simple wrapper DLL, about
>> 233
>> KB, which is not a big deal, but under NT, there is no need to do ANSI to
>> Unicode conversion, so there is very small overhead in terms of speed
>> when
>> running under NT.
>
> I just realized the following scenario and I'm worried now: what if the
> app uses controls on forms. MSLU will have nothing to with their operation
> right?

Correct.

> Are Microsoft's standard controls (Common Controls 6.0 SP6) Unicode-ready?

No, all controls that came with VB are ANSI.

> Can they display Unicode text on forms?

No.

> And what if they make their own internal calls to Unicode functions "W"
> and "A" versions, how would they accomplish the same distinction than
> MSLU?

They don't go through MSLU, and you can't "make" them. The only calls that
go through MSLU are the ones that you directly make.

The following site offers free Unicode controls, but I haven't used them:

http://www.timosoft-software.de/

From: Nando on
Nobody wrote:
> Nando wrote:
>>
>> Are Microsoft's standard controls (Common Controls 6.0 SP6) Unicode-ready?
>
> No, all controls that came with VB are ANSI.
>
>> Can they display Unicode text on forms?
>
> No.

Oh, I see. So what languages should I expect to be supported by Windows
Common Controls? Or perhaps I should re-phrase the question as: With
what kind of languages I will be *safe*?
From: Jason Keats on
Nando wrote:
> Nobody wrote:
>> Nando wrote:
> >>
>>> Are Microsoft's standard controls (Common Controls 6.0 SP6)
>>> Unicode-ready?
>>
>> No, all controls that came with VB are ANSI.
>>
>>> Can they display Unicode text on forms?
>>
>> No.
>
> Oh, I see. So what languages should I expect to be supported by Windows
> Common Controls? Or perhaps I should re-phrase the question as: With
> what kind of languages I will be *safe*?

Those languages that use our (latin?) alphabet - that is, Western
European languages.
From: Dee Earley on
On 13/08/2010 09:07, Nando wrote:
> Nobody wrote:
>> Nando wrote:
> >>
>>> Are Microsoft's standard controls (Common Controls 6.0 SP6)
>>> Unicode-ready?
>>
>> No, all controls that came with VB are ANSI.
>>
>>> Can they display Unicode text on forms?
>>
>> No.
>
> Oh, I see. So what languages should I expect to be supported by Windows
> Common Controls? Or perhaps I should re-phrase the question as: With
> what kind of languages I will be *safe*?

Anything that matches the "codepage for non Unicode applications"
setting in Windows.

I've happily used my app localised to Japanese with (little) problem as
long as that codepage is set correctly to Japanese.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems