From: Karl E. Peterson on
on 12/17/2009, Rick Rothstein supposed :
>>> The last time I worked with a UNIX system was 1988 or so... all I was
>>> doing here was reacting off the code you posted... I have/had no idea
>>> whether it would work or not (hence, the qualifying words "appears" and "I
>>> think").
>>
>> Yeah, it's been forever for me, too. But Windows is similarly afflicted.
>> Check out the usri3_last_logon, usri3_last_logoff, and usri3_acct_expires
>> elements of USER_INFO_X structures:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371338%28VS.85%29.aspx
>>
>> It looks like they're attempting to address this, but I see a bit of a
>> problem ahead for any systems that folks manage to keep hobbling along long
>> enough. <g>
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:msdn.microsoft.com+January+1%2C+1970
>
> I guess this all made sense in the 1970's (yeah, I know, 1969 for the date
> UNIX was created) when the "drop dead" date was so far away... but now that
> "drop dead" date is starting to get close enough that someone should start
> doing something about it (rather than waiting to the very end like was done
> with the "millennium bug"). My bet... they will wait to the very end.<g>

Well, the Good News is, I suppose, *none* of us will be alive to see it
so you'll never have to make good on that bet. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Rick Rothstein on

>>> Yeah, it's been forever for me, too. But Windows is similarly
>>> afflicted. Check out the usri3_last_logon, usri3_last_logoff, and
>>> usri3_acct_expires elements of USER_INFO_X structures:
>>>
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371338%28VS.85%29.aspx
>>>
>>> It looks like they're attempting to address this, but I see a bit of a
>>> problem ahead for any systems that folks manage to keep hobbling along
>>> long enough. <g>
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site:msdn.microsoft.com+January+1%2C+1970
>>
>> I guess this all made sense in the 1970's (yeah, I know, 1969 for the
>> date UNIX was created) when the "drop dead" date was so far away... but
>> now that "drop dead" date is starting to get close enough that someone
>> should start doing something about it (rather than waiting to the very
>> end like was done with the "millennium bug"). My bet... they will wait to
>> the very end.<g>
>
> Well, the Good News is, I suppose, *none* of us will be alive to see it so
> you'll never have to make good on that bet. <g>

Speak for yourself... I plan on being still here then. My plan is to live to
be at least 200... so far, so good.<vbg>

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Rick Rothstein has brought this to us :

>>> I guess this all made sense in the 1970's (yeah, I know, 1969 for the date
>>> UNIX was created) when the "drop dead" date was so far away... but now
>>> that "drop dead" date is starting to get close enough that someone should
>>> start doing something about it (rather than waiting to the very end like
>>> was done with the "millennium bug"). My bet... they will wait to the very
>>> end.<g>
>>
>> Well, the Good News is, I suppose, *none* of us will be alive to see it so
>> you'll never have to make good on that bet. <g>
>
> Speak for yourself... I plan on being still here then. My plan is to live to
> be at least 200... so far, so good.<vbg>

Well, not that I'd be silly enough to bet against your prediction, mind
you. <g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Well at least none of them came out to 2012!

Where's that cartoon showing the stone carvers. Caption is "Whattya
say we go have a few beers?"

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Karl E. Peterson submitted this idea :
> Dee Earley submitted this idea :
>> On 16/12/2009 15:44, Rick Rothstein wrote:
>>> I think you can use this...
>>>
>>> VBdate = DateAdd("s", UnixTimeStamp, #1/1/1970#)
>>>
>>> where you would assign your Unix timestamp to the indicated variable.
>>
>> It's not that simple last I looked as we are currently dealing with numbers
>> that have rolled over into negative values (using VBs signed longs)
>>
>> It shoudl be possible, but I never got code working properly as I just
>> asked my colleague to change the format to a more VB friendly value :)
>
> Post bomb! <g> Sorry, but this got interesting for some reason. Check out
> what I just found:

But wait, there's more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Looks like the rest of the world knows, and doesn't particularly care,
that we have a new Y2K38 bug lurking up on us. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Archiving
Next: Problems shelling another application