From: Bee on
I would like to write a VB6 app to archive my source code.
But maybe this already exists and I am then just doing an exercise.
My parents and nearly I (or is it me) are from the depression era and we
save everything. So my garage attests.
Anyway this is what I want to do.
Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the subfolder.
Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each subfolder.

So ... I can do
scan the folder for subfolders and get a list of subfolders.

What I am not sure about is how to do the Zip.
Assume I have WinZip, what is the best way to get WinZip to do the
compression from VB6 and create one file per subfolder (WinZip deleting all
the files) after WinZip has put them in the .zip file.

But the bigger questions are:
Is this the best way to archive and compress it all?
What other considerations should I be thinging baout?
No, I do not what to put all the eggs in one huge database basket.
I have seen large files get corrupted and therefore losing all in one large
omlette.
Sugestion please and a little code help to run the WinZip from VB6 part if
there are no better soultions.
P.S. WinZip since I can also encrypt if I want.

From: dpb on
Bee wrote:
> I would like to write a VB6 app to archive my source code.
> But maybe this already exists and I am then just doing an exercise.

Yes, look for source/version control systems. There are a number of
open source projects.

> Anyway this is what I want to do.
> Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
> Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
> delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the subfolder.
> Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each subfolder.

That's simply a batch file operation imo.

The above solution would help in that it archives changes instead of
everything w/ time for a volume reduction besides have access to
previous build points.

From: Nobody on
"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to write a VB6 app to archive my source code.
> But maybe this already exists and I am then just doing an exercise.
> My parents and nearly I (or is it me) are from the depression era and we
> save everything. So my garage attests.
> Anyway this is what I want to do.
> Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
> Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
> delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the
> subfolder.
> Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each
> subfolder.
>
> So ... I can do
> scan the folder for subfolders and get a list of subfolders.
>
> What I am not sure about is how to do the Zip.
> Assume I have WinZip, what is the best way to get WinZip to do the
> compression from VB6 and create one file per subfolder (WinZip deleting
> all
> the files) after WinZip has put them in the .zip file.
>
> But the bigger questions are:
> Is this the best way to archive and compress it all?
> What other considerations should I be thinging baout?
> No, I do not what to put all the eggs in one huge database basket.
> I have seen large files get corrupted and therefore losing all in one
> large
> omlette.
> Sugestion please and a little code help to run the WinZip from VB6 part if
> there are no better soultions.
> P.S. WinZip since I can also encrypt if I want.

TaskZip is written in VB5. Here is a link to version 1.4.4 source:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000821154048/http://jupiter.drw.net/matpie/Downloads/TZipSource.zip

It has backup options like days of the week, monthly, etc., and interface
like Task Scheduler. It ZIPs or just copy over uncompressed. I prefer the
copy over option. It's using zip.exe command line option, which I don't know
if it has 2GB limit. It does check for the exit code though.

From: Ralph on

"Bee" <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to write a VB6 app to archive my source code.
> But maybe this already exists and I am then just doing an exercise.
> My parents and nearly I (or is it me) are from the depression era and we
> save everything. So my garage attests.
> Anyway this is what I want to do.
> Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
> Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
> delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the
subfolder.
> Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each
subfolder.

> So ... I can do
> scan the folder for subfolders and get a list of subfolders.
>
> What I am not sure about is how to do the Zip.
> Assume I have WinZip, what is the best way to get WinZip to do the
> compression from VB6 and create one file per subfolder (WinZip deleting
all
> the files) after WinZip has put them in the .zip file.
>
> But the bigger questions are:
> Is this the best way to archive and compress it all?
> What other considerations should I be thinging baout?
> No, I do not what to put all the eggs in one huge database basket.
> I have seen large files get corrupted and therefore losing all in one
large
> omlette.
> Sugestion please and a little code help to run the WinZip from VB6 part if
> there are no better soultions.
> P.S. WinZip since I can also encrypt if I want.

Need more information as to your O/S, why your zipping the files, and what
you really want to achieve.

If to merely save space on the Hard Drive and you are using NTFS there is an
option to compress all files on the disc. Depending on your CPU, space
available, and what you are doing, this will result in a barely perceptable
to minor delay, but dramatically increase space.

You might just write a simple batch or a VB program to manage shelling and
use the WinZip command line options.
http://memecode.com/docs/winzip.html
(Not sure if this is available with the free version?)

Note, you can easily store multiple folders within one Zip file.

On newer O/Ss you can simply copy files to a "Zip" folder

Also where do you intend to put your backups? Any CD/DVD r/w device comes
with backup utilities, that accept scripts. If you are concerned with
corruption - why bother compressing the files? Storage runs from 600Mb to
5+Gb and beyond. (inexpensive 100+Gb is on the horizon.)

From: Bee on
typically these create one large file. nogo.