From: Bee on
Very interesting code to explore; however, it seems to demand a lot of setup
work for each "backup" to do what i want.

From: Bee on
compression by the OS is not acceptable because
(1) if I copy a file to another disk or flash or cd it has to decompress and
copy. and that is one major pain i want to avoid. it is way toooo slow.
(2) i do not get an encryption capability with that. no, i do not.
i do not use a user log in. even if i did it would not be the same across pcs.
user log in can be defeated too easily.

as an example, copy a large folder to a flash drive. it takes several
minutes.
zip it all up (it zips very quickly) and the copy. it takes seconds. this
is due to the sector allocation methods on the flash.

also, as far as i understand it, a hard disk or a flash drive is subject to
magnetic or radiation destruction of data so i prefer a CD or DVD that
requires high prolonged heat (compared to mag and rad).

so i want a folder with sub folders zipped up and ready to copy as i wish
quickly.
windows has no facility that i know of to do it the right way, my way.
even my legal copy of winzip installed has no means of performing the
automated task that I can see.

if winzip is not workable then how about pkzip or some other free source.
maybe huffman basic with encryption.
assemby lnguage is really usefull here for speed.

so i need to copy "zip" files to CD, DVDs and flash quickly.
that leaves Vista and probably Win7 out.
XP is pretty quick.

thanks for the reply, it made me form better ideas in my old head.

From: Shotgun Thom on
On Dec 15, 4:33 pm, Bee <B...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> compression by the OS is not acceptable because
> (1) if I copy a file to another disk or flash or cd it has to decompress and
> copy.  and that is one major pain i want to avoid.  it is way toooo slow.
> (2) i do not get an encryption capability with that.  no, i do not.
> i do not use a user log in. even if i did it would not be the same across pcs.
> user log in can be defeated too easily.
>
> as an example, copy a large folder to a flash drive.  it takes several
> minutes.
> zip it all up (it zips very quickly) and the copy.  it takes seconds.  this
> is due to the sector allocation methods on the flash.
>
> also, as far as i understand it, a hard disk or a flash drive is subject to
> magnetic  or radiation destruction of data so i prefer a CD or DVD that
> requires high prolonged heat (compared to mag and rad).
>
> so i want a folder with sub folders zipped up and ready to copy as i wish
> quickly.
> windows has no facility that i know of to do it the right way, my way.
> even my legal copy of winzip installed has no means of performing the
> automated task that I can see.
>
> if winzip is not workable then how about pkzip or some other free source.
> maybe huffman basic with encryption.
> assemby lnguage is really usefull here for speed.
>
> so i need to copy "zip" files to CD, DVDs and flash quickly.
> that leaves Vista and probably Win7 out.
> XP is pretty quick.
>
> thanks for the reply, it made me form better ideas in my old head.

For archiving (zip) look here:

http://www.polarsoftware.com/products/ziplight/index.asp

It's free, pretty powerful and very easy to use. Also encryption is
available from the same site:

http://www.polarsoftware.com/products/cryptolight/index.asp

Tom.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Bee <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
>Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
>delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the subfolder.
>Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each subfolder.
>
>So ... I can do
> scan the folder for subfolders and get a list of subfolders.
>
>What I am not sure about is how to do the Zip.
>Assume I have WinZip, what is the best way to get WinZip to do the
>compression from VB6 and create one file per subfolder (WinZip deleting all
>the files) after WinZip has put them in the .zip file.

You could use the open source Infozip DLLs. Links to the DLLs and
sample VB code at Compression DLLs, OCXs, etc
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/compression.htm

But why include them the same folder?

Every few days I just Winzip, with a password, to zip my entire 5 Gb
of files. Then I burn it to a DVD. Done in about a half hour.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Bee <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>so i need to copy "zip" files to CD, DVDs and flash quickly.
>that leaves Vista and probably Win7 out.
>XP is pretty quick.

On this I don't see how Vista and Win 7 would be significantly slower
than XP. When copying large amounts of data you're mostly at the
mercy of the drivers and raw hardware.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP