From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Bee <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have hundreds of top level folders that I need to zip individually and
>keep apart.

Why? Why not just make a large zip file every few days of the entire
set of files and be done with it?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: dpb on
Bee wrote:
> Anyway this is what I want to do.
> Point at a top level folder containging sub folders I want to archive.
> Hit a button and cycle through each top level subfolder and Zip (with
> delete) all files and sub-sub folder files into a Zip within the subfolder.
> Continue until all subfolders have beens zipped, one .zip for each subfolder.

> What I am not sure about is how to do the Zip.
> Sugestion please and a little code help to run the WinZip ...

As suggested earlier it's only a few lines of batch code (assuming one
uses a rational command processor like one of those from JP Software
<www.jpsoft.com>)

For TCC/LE (a free downloadable console processor) the following works
just fine starting in a top directory to create the requested .zip files
in each subdirectory.

Only a trivial extension if there are parallel higher directories is an
"exercise left to the student"... :)

@echo off
for /a:d /r /h %d in (*.*) (
cd "%d"
pkzip -add "%d\bakzip" *.*
except ("%d\bakzip.zip") del *.*
)

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Bee <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Ah, this then sounds like a design decision made by the Windows
development team rather than drivers. I vaguely recall reading
something somewhere somewhen stating MS had fixed this logic up in Win
7. But I sure could be wrong.

Tony

--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: mscir on
Bee wrote:
> Hmmm ... I have several vista PCs and several XP PCs.
> The Vista PCs have SATA 3G drives.
> The XP PCs have the old IDE drives.
> XP kick a$$.
> I wrote a test routine for disk writing and reading.
> My app pushes the Vista drives to near their spec but Vista Windows Explorer
> copy paste operations for one SATA to another SATA are dog slow.
> Seems that Vista puts this type of op in the background tasks and frees up
> CPU time for other things.
> This is a Quad Intel 2.4GHz PC with 4G RAM and usually 2 GBytes free.
> Even my XP laptop beats the QUAD by a wide margin.
>

> "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
>> Bee <Bee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> so i need to copy "zip" files to CD, DVDs and flash quickly.
>>> that leaves Vista and probably Win7 out.
>>> XP is pretty quick.
>> On this I don't see how Vista and Win 7 would be significantly slower
>> than XP. When copying large amounts of data you're mostly at the
>> mercy of the drivers and raw hardware.
>> Tony

Would you consider doing a speed test using xcopy and robocopy and
publishing the results?

http://itsvista.com/2007/03/xcopy/

http://itsvista.com/2007/03/robocopy/

Mike