From: Felix on
I'm running a Lenovo laptop with PGP Encryption Windows XP SP3 SATA hard
drive. This is my work laptop I've had since October 2008 without issue. I'm
somewhat of a low-level techie working permanently from home and my company's
IT Dept is 2000 miles away. But these following errors/BSODs escapes me. Two
days ago, the system stalled and I elected to hard reboot the system. When it
came back up, I logged into PGP login screen as usual and received the 'Safe
Mode' screen options. I clicked 'Start Windows Normally' option, the Windows
Logo boot screen appears like it's gonna load the OS but then it BSODs to
"Session3 Initialization Failed STOP:0x0000006F
(0xC000000E,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)". Rebooting and selecting any
of the three Safe Mode options and 'Last Known Config' results in the same
BSOD error message. I removed my USB devices and the network cable from
laptop. Only power cable is connected...wireless is disabled. I had some
Lenovo ThinkPad system recovery CDs. Although I've never backed up my hard
drive (HDD), I booted to those recovery CDs. But they did not detect the
laptop's HDD. Hmmm? I select F1 to check if HDD is listed and what order in
boot list. I move it above the CDRom Drive. While in BIOS, I ran a hard drive
diagnostic and the HDD was detected and passed diagnostics!! WooHoo! So I
used a recovery tool embedded in BIOS called ThinkVantage. When I run it, it
gives me three options...1. it takes me back to the BIOS options page, or 2.
connect to an external USB device or 3. reboot PC. I choose to reboot PC
since there's no other changes needed to BIOS and it boots back to the PGP
encryption page. After entering my company password, the next screen gives me
an option to select F11 and enter a 'system recovery mode'. After selecting
F11, I receive...BSOD "Unmountable Boot Volume - STOP: 0x000000ED
(0x89A3E550, 0xC000014F, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)". So I hard rebooted onto a
Windows XP Install CD to run Recovery Console so that I could at least run
checkdisk or fixboot. After selecting 'R' to run Recovery Console, the
Installation prompts me that there aren't any drives installed on the
system!!! If so, how is it that my laptop runs successful HDD diags and the
OS almost boots if I select 'Start Windows Normally/Last Known Config'? If I
plug in an external USB HDD, the Recovery Console detects it as the (C:)
drive. If I unplug external USB HDD, reboot and run Recovery Console again,
the Installation still prompts me that there aren't any drives installed on
the system!!! I've seen this before back in the day using IDE drives. I'd
simply slave it out, mount it and copy corrupt HDD files to new HDD. What
I've found so far is that the Smss.exe file may be corrupted by
virus...that's where Recovery Console comes in right?Is this possible with
SATA? Is there an adapter I can buy to connect HDD to USB port or even if I
do, wouldn't I come into problems with my PGP encryption program? Thanks in
advance for your response(s)!
From: Jose on
On Jun 8, 3:36 am, Felix <Fe...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> system!!! If so, how is it that my laptop runs successful HDD diags and the
> OS almost boots if I select 'Start Windows Normally/Last Known Config'? If I
> plug in an external USB HDD, the Recovery Console detects it as the (C:)
> drive. If I unplug external USB HDD, reboot and run Recovery Console again,
> the Installation still prompts me that there aren't any drives installed on
> the system!!!  I've seen this before back in the day using IDE drives. I'd
> simply slave it out, mount it and copy corrupt HDD files to new HDD. What
> I've found so far is that the Smss.exe file may be corrupted by
> virus...that's where Recovery Console comes in right?Is this possible with
> SATA? Is there an adapter I can buy to connect HDD to USB port or even if I
> do, wouldn't I come into problems with my PGP encryption program? Thanks in

I hope you have not FUBAR'd your system with experimental
troubleshooting methods.

Here is my standard response to your first symptom.

If you mean you are getting a STOP error that says something like:

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

*** STOP: 0x0000006F (0xc0000034, 00000000, 00000000, 00000000)

The usual culprit is some (poorly designed) antivirus software -
perhaps Avast!, AVG or Avira that has deleted or quarantined necessary
XP files such as the Windows Session Manager file:

c:\windows\system32\smss.exe

I suppose it could have been really infected and quarantined, but that
has never been my experience.

What antivirus software are you running and did you just use it prior
to this incident?

If the files have been quarantined or deleted, you can replace them
from the copies that are already on your HDD, but to do so you must
boot your system into the Windows XP Recovery Console.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP
installation CD, or create on a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a
store bought system. If you are not sure what kind of bootable CD you
have, make a bootable XP Recovery Console CD and be sure.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available by following the directions in this link:

There are three possibilities for these missing files that result in
the SESSION3 or SESSION5 type message:

Windows\System32\smss.exe <--most likely, so replace this one first
Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

After booting into the XP Recovery Console, you should be in the C:
\WINDOWS folder. If you are not in the C:\WINDOWS folder you have
some other problem that you need to fix first.

When copying files, you may be replacing existing files with the
copies, so respond in the affirmative if asked to overwrite existing
files. If the copy succeeds, you should see a message that the file
was copied successfully.

In the Recovery Console, from the C:\WINDOWS prompt, enter the
following commands:

cd system32
copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\smss.exe
exit (your system will restart)

Depending on your system configuration, you may need to copy the files
from another location, so if they are not in the dllcache folder for
some reason, enter the commands like this:

cd system32
copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\smss.exe
exit (your system will restart)

If the problem persists, repeat the process for the other two files:

ntdll.dll
ntoskrnl.exe
From: Felix on
Thanks Jose. I have SAV v11. After VPN'ing into company network repeatedly
over 8 months ago to present, Network Admins scheduled SAV to run everyday at
12:02am. My system crashed at 3:11am while browsing the 'Net. But when I run
Recovery Console from a Windows bootable Recovery Console CD (ie, Windows XP
Install CD), the installation prompts me that there aren't any drives
installed on the system.

But the HDD diagnostic I run via BIOS indicates that HDD drive tests just
fine. Any thoughts?

From: Jose on
On Jun 8, 11:48 am, Felix <Fe...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > some other problem that you need to fix first.
>
> > When copying files, you may be replacing existing files with the
> > copies, so respond in the affirmative if asked to overwrite existing
> > files.  If the copy succeeds, you should see a message that the file
> > was copied successfully.
>
> > In the Recovery Console, from the C:\WINDOWS prompt, enter the
> > following commands:
>
> > cd system32
> > copy c:\windows\system32\dllcache\smss.exe
> > exit (your system will restart)
>
> > Depending on your system configuration, you may need to copy the files
> > from another location, so if they are not in the dllcache folder for
> > some reason, enter the commands like this:
>
> > cd system32
> > copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\smss.exe
> > exit (your system will restart)
>
> > If the problem persists, repeat the process for the other two files:

Hmmm... sounds like some hardware issue.

You will not get far with the SESSION messages until you can boot on
something.

What does "my system crashed" mean exactly and what did you do after
that to try to get going again?

Was the power button, battery removal or any plug pulling involved?

Did you make that Recovery Console CD or are you using something else
and if something else is not a genuine bootable XP installation CD,
make the RC CD as directed and be sure to test it for bootability in
any other XP machine - like the machine you used to make the RC CD.
You don't need the "what CD should I be booting on or if this CD even
works at all" variable in your equation. Eliminate it.

Is that what the message says when you try to boot on the CD:

there aren't any drives installed on the system

Here come the "slave the hard disk in another machine" ideas (perhaps)
but what you describe sounds more fundamental. It would not hurt to
reseat (unplug/replug) all the connections to and from the HDD if that
is feasible. You must overcome this non booting non recognizing the
HDD situation first, then address remaining issues when you have the
ability to maneuver.

Are you able to provide the system make and model? Maybe somebody
will recognize the symptom or we can look up some HW manuals and maybe
get some idee-ers there.
From: John John - MVP on
You need to load the SATA (Mass Storage) drivers to access the disk.
You have to press F6 when prompted early on in the booting process and
you have to supply the drivers on a floppy disk, which will probably be
a problem with your laptop if it doesn't have a floppy drive.

If you don't have a floppy drive to load the drivers you can try to put
the drive in IDE mode (in the BIOS) or you can slipstream the drivers
into the Windows XP CD.

John