From: Fruit2O on
I have a file given to me by a friend - but I am leary of opening it
for fear of getting a virus. Am I justified? What if I open it and
run it through my anti-virus program? If it passes, would that assure
safety? If not, is there another way to check the contents of the zip
file for possible malware?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net>

| I have a file given to me by a friend - but I am leary of opening it
| for fear of getting a virus. Am I justified? What if I open it and
| run it through my anti-virus program? If it passes, would that assure
| safety? If not, is there another way to check the contents of the zip
| file for possible malware?

Submit a sample to Virus Total -- http://www.virustotal.com/flash/index_en.html
The submission will then be tested against many different AV vendor's scanners.
That will give you an idea what it is and who recognizes it if it is malicious.

--
Dave

From: Rube Bumpkin on
Fruit2O wrote:
> I have a file given to me by a friend - but I am leary of opening it
> for fear of getting a virus. Am I justified? What if I open it and
> run it through my anti-virus program? If it passes, would that assure
> safety? If not, is there another way to check the contents of the zip
> file for possible malware?

Let's see...

- You could scan it with your Antivirus software. Most have a
right-click option of 'Scan this file...' or something similar. When I
right-click, I can scan with Antivir.

- You could scan it with your anti-malware software. Most have the same
sort of option. When I right-click, I can scan with SuperAntiSpyware or
Malwarebytes

- You could submit it to VirusTotal (www.virustotal.com) and test it
against multiple scanners at once.

RB
From: FromTheRafters on
"Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a file given to me by a friend - but I am leary of opening it
> for fear of getting a virus. Am I justified?

Yes, very much so. Contrary to the popular refrain "...and I don't open
files from strangers" - much malware comes (or appears to come) from
those you *do* know and trust.

> What if I open it and run it through my anti-virus program?

From a general security standpoint, if you didn't request it - delete
it. If you really *do* want it, then you should have it scanned for
malware some days after you receive it (cooling off - trying to avoid
day zero malware) by several scanners.

> If it passes, would that assure safety?

No, only the first option assures safety.

> If not, is there another way to check the contents of the zip
> file for possible malware?

Old school - unzip and scan the resulting files. Now, most scanners are
capable of extracting the files for you when you scan the archive
itself.

....and as an aside, some malware has attacked vulnerabilities in the
implementation of that very feature.

From: Bob L on
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:24:26 -0500, "FromTheRafters"
<erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>"Fruit2O" <jz137xww(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have a file given to me by a friend - but I am leary of opening it
>> for fear of getting a virus. Am I justified?
>
>Yes, very much so. Contrary to the popular refrain "...and I don't open
>files from strangers" - much malware comes (or appears to come) from
>those you *do* know and trust.
>
>> What if I open it and run it through my anti-virus program?
>
>From a general security standpoint, if you didn't request it - delete
>it. If you really *do* want it, then you should have it scanned for
>malware some days after you receive it (cooling off - trying to avoid
>day zero malware) by several scanners.
>
>> If it passes, would that assure safety?
>
>No, only the first option assures safety.
>
>> If not, is there another way to check the contents of the zip
>> file for possible malware?
>
>Old school - unzip and scan the resulting files. Now, most scanners are
>capable of extracting the files for you when you scan the archive
>itself.
>
>...and as an aside, some malware has attacked vulnerabilities in the
>implementation of that very feature.

Get yourself Sandboxie and run all your operations there to start
with.