From: Janey on
I've been unable to accept the automatic updates either automatically or
through Microsoft's Windows Update site. Auto updates were ongoing until
last night.
This is the message I get and the update icon remains on the task bar
waiting for me to express install what it has for me.

"Some Updates could not be installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update
for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and
Windows XP (KB979906)"

I ran the free Once Care scan which found no problems.
Then I ran another scan with my malbytes malware program which found 12
various intruders, mostly low threat, and they are now quarantined/removed.

With each attempt to install the updates I get the same message above---even
when I try to install only one at a time. The auto updates continue waiting
to be installed.

I really would like to get my updates to feel safe enough to go online to
publish my newsletter!

Appreciate any help available.

Janey
From: Shenan Stanley on
Janey wrote:
> I've been unable to accept the automatic updates either
> automatically or through Microsoft's Windows Update site. Auto
> updates were ongoing until last night.
> This is the message I get and the update icon remains on the task
> bar waiting for me to express install what it has for me.
>
> "Some Updates could not be installed:
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
> Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows
> XP x86 (KB979909)
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000
> and Windows XP (KB979906)"
>
> I ran the free Once Care scan which found no problems.
> Then I ran another scan with my malbytes malware program which
> found 12 various intruders, mostly low threat, and they are now
> quarantined/removed.
>
> With each attempt to install the updates I get the same message
> above---even when I try to install only one at a time. The auto
> updates continue waiting to be installed.
>
> I really would like to get my updates to feel safe enough to go
> online to publish my newsletter!
>
> Appreciate any help available.

You are safe enough to do that...

Anyway - according to the Knowledge Base Article for one of the updates you
mentioned:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906

"How to obtain help and support for this security update

the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support website:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge email support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft website:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552"

You might also benefit from the section right under that labeled, "Known
issues and additional information about this security update". ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP